For Sale - 1978 frame with 81 engine XS650 - needs work but runs strong plus plus - $500

papasmurf

Papa Smurf
Reaction score
The bike is titled and licensed as a 1978 XS650 in New York State. The 1981 motor was installed 3 1/2 years ago when the tranny went on the 78 - more on that later. This machine has about 38,000 miles on it and the motor is strong. It was just gone over this spring and has been running beautifully. The fatal flaw (for me) is the transmission has gotten severely loose. I have a thread in the Garage about it not backing up. The driven gear has far too much movement both laterally and longitudinally. The outcome is the machine will not move in reverse when the clutch is in (and yes it is correctly adjusted). It has to be in neutral. So - I am done with it.

The electrical has been upgraded to the electronic rectifier and regulator from MikesXS. The 1978 is points and condenser so when I installed the 1981 engine which is electronic ignition I was able to change that over ok as well. All the old parts were retained. The carburetors that came with the 81 were caked solid so I didn't bother with them but they are still here. The 1978 motor donated the chain side cover when my chain separated (mechanic's head space on the master link installation). Other than that it is complete. When the tranny went I was winding out 2nd gear and when I went for third I found neutral - same for 4th and 5th. 2nd was how I got the bike home - about 10 miles city driving. Turns out it may just be a broken spring - on the wet side again. One thing I know for certain is that both motors ran strong. The 1981 can still be heard running.

So - I am in Rochester, NY. $500 cash - *** firm *** carries it away - all of it.

585 305-6412

"Papa" as in Papa Smurf

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 118