1978 XS Very Special 72 Volt DC Electric Build

jazzyrigged

Jazzyrigged
Reaction score
Here is the beginings of my Electric Vehicle project based on my 1978 XS 650 Special. I had a few oil leaks from the engine that my OCD could not handle any longer (oddly enough not from the clutch pushrod seal.) Too many mornings praying that it would start just to have it disappoint me and way too many weekends lost to chasing my tail. At any rate I treated myself to a new motorcycle in the late fall with the idea of making this my EV project. I will post new pictures as this project moves along. Thanks for checking it out everyone.

Attachments

• p_00176.jpg
    p_00176.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 213
  • p_00175.jpg
    p_00175.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 224
I saw one converted to electric outside a strip mall in Beaverton, Oregon this past summer. I should have taken the time to talk to the owner about it. Heck..I should have taken a picture. It was interesting.

Cool! those motors aren't cheap are they??? What's the plan for batteries? What are your goals for weight, range, charge time, top speed and acceleration?

Yeah the engine was about $500 when I first bought it about three years ago. I originally was going to go with 12 35 amp hour SLA batteries wired in series and parallel for 72 volt which would give me about a 35 mile range. I am considering customizing a battery pack from a prius because there is a salvage yard here in St. Louis that specializes in them.

I need to get the motor mounted up first though and am weighing a few different options for that. I have been considering either a custom lithium Ion pack from thunder sky or possibly a chevy volt pack if I could ever get my hands on one.

Any money saving ideas would be very helpful. Thanks everyone for the interst.:thumbsup:

It would be far cheaper to fix the XS and result in far fewer headaches, but I do like the idea of electric motorcycles. Weight, Range, Package looks to be a nightmare in a 2 wheeled package.

I find myself rather interested by a Brammo Empulse though, Looks and Engineering design looks to be rather well thought out. Would be neat to see one.

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

Back