XS650 cafe first time build

Welcome - from Canada's sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario and good for you taking on a cool project.

There is tons of great advice on this forum so keep asking questions and posting photos!

Pete

Right on the money, I'm planning to keep the mag wheels until I have some more disposable income, although 19 front 18 rear sounds good as well. I had only been looking at Cognito motos conversion and by default, use warp 9 wheels which are only 17. But I could just get the hub and purchase the rims myself though lacing them myself seems daunting, but I'm sure there is a youtube video on it.

I fell in love with their XS a while back, I’ve definitely drawn upon it heavily for inspiration with my build.

I’m going to be using their hubs front and rear laced to 18” Excel Rims, I have a set of polished Takasago rims, shouldered and dimpled.

I also quite fancy a flat black frame!

Very much looking forward to following your progress Dakon.

Daniel.

I fell in love with their XS a while back, I’ve definitely drawn upon it heavily for inspiration with my build.

I’m going to be using their hubs front and rear laced to 18” Excel Rims, I have a set of polished Takasago rims, shouldered and dimpled.

I also quite fancy a flat black frame!

Very much looking forward to following your progress Dakon.

Daniel.

Fantastic, thanks mate, I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for your build, will you be doing the r6 front end swap as well? They definitely have one of the cleanest builds I've seen, and their combination of new and old is definitely something I want to emulate.

Welcome - from Canada's sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario and good for you taking on a cool project.

There is tons of great advice on this forum so keep asking questions and posting photos!

Pete

Thanks for the welcome, I'll definitely be posting often I hope to get it running over winter break while I'm off classes

Yes, those 2 screws lock the timing plate in the proper position for correct timing. You need those, lol. Usually, for initial install and set-up, you lock the timing plate down about in the middle of it's adjustment range. That's usually close enough for the bike to start and then you can put a timing light on it and dial the timing in exactly. That Pamco (or Pamco type) ignition can't be set statically (motor off, engine rotated by hand). You need to have the motor running and use a timing light on it.

Thank you for the advice, there's actually 4 screwed in the cover, so I'll be going through the parts list as well. I'll be picking up a timing light once I figure out the wiring and have the tools to get it started

Fantastic, thanks mate, I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for your build, will you be doing the r6 front end swap as well? They definitely have one of the cleanest builds I've seen, and their combination of new and old is definitely something I want to emulate.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll definitely be posting often I hope to get it running over winter break while I'm off classes

I have yokes (triple trees to you guys across the pond) from Cognito Moto to take 5EB R6 forks, these are the RWU (right way up) variety, I aim to add modern (ish) touches to my build, I’m also using bars, clutch/brake lever perches, fuel cap and foot controls from a 5EB R6.

I too love the mix of ‘old & new’ they captured so well on their build, I want to give more of ‘nod’ to the old if I can though.

Last edited:
I have yokes (triple trees to you guys across the pond) from Cognito Moto to take 5EB R6 forks, these are the RWU (right way up) variety, I aim to add modern (ish) touches to my build, I’m also using bars, clutch/brake lever perches, fuel cap and foot controls from a 5EB R6.

I too love the mix of ‘old & new’ they captured so well on their build, I want to give more of ‘nod’ to the old if I can though.

No worries, my father and his side are from Manchester, and my uncle was the one to teach me all I know on bikes and workshop knowledge in general so I'm more comfortable with those terms over American ones. Can't wait to see how your build turns out, I'll definitely be following closely.

Back