First time owner and first post

Also question about lighting. My bike has a Pamco and the pma alt and matching reg/rec. also has a 12 volt battery. Original owner simplified the wiring so wiring is not stock.

I would like to add blinkers and swap the headlight for something that provides better lighting.

My question is, should I stick to the basic lighting or is my set up capable of running led’s?

Nothing wrong with LEDs, they draw less. You can work the voltage regulator harder on a PMA alternator setup with very low loads cuz the VR shunts excess amps to ground.

Nothing wrong with LEDs, they draw less. You can work the voltage regulator harder on a PMA alternator setup with very low loads cuz the VR shunts excess amps to ground.
From the light research I did. I saw some concern about the led headlight and Pamco combo can be troublesome.

From the light research I did. I saw some concern about the led headlight and Pamco combo can be troublesome.
With PMA, it’s best to use as much of the available current as possible. PMA makes all the current whether you need it or not. What you don’t use is shed as heat. Excess current can lead to premature voltage regulator failure. PMA isn’t an upgrade IMHO. It’s more a downgrade.

Here’s a little update. Scored a tank off eBay, bought the wrong “special” gas cap lol. Took the sportster tank off and removed the seat so tank would fit. New old stock tank need to be lined and fitted with petcock and painted. Nothing is bolted down just resting on for visual purposes. Need to rig up a pin for rear of tank mount and c cups on the frame.

There’s a brace that needs to be rearrange in order for the seat to go back on. You can see it in the last pic over the rear tire.

Looks like I’m going to be doing some cutting/grinding and welding.

I’m contemplating whether to keep the seat or go the brat tracker look. I’ve always liked the flat tracker look and always wanted one, but after seeing a brat tracker. My brain started to turn.

Bike lives on the the step up in front of my wife’s car. Installed the tennis ball just to be safe 😉

Also another question, if previous owner rattle canned the rims. Is there a way to remove the paint? Would like to get them back to their stock look.

Attachments

• 72540600195__F813DABA-394A-44F3-90EE-4C791C5E183C.jpeg
    72540600195__F813DABA-394A-44F3-90EE-4C791C5E183C.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7919.jpeg
    IMG_7919.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 72540518905__022DE508-3D0D-4885-9DA9-521E2238CB04.jpeg
    72540518905__022DE508-3D0D-4885-9DA9-521E2238CB04.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
With PMA, it’s best to use as much of the available current as possible. PMA makes all the current whether you need it or not. What you don’t use is shed as heat. Excess current can lead to premature voltage regulator failure. PMA isn’t an upgrade IMHO. It’s more a downgrade.
Any head lights you recommend?

I run a stock unit as well. I got an H4 from an XS850 triple off eBay for around $25. This was the complete headlight assembly (bucket, chrome rim, light). I knew the light would swap into my 650 bucket because the chrome rim is the same. At the moment, I just have the light installed but may eventually try the bucket as well. The way it bulges out on the bottom may provide more room for the wiring .....

XS850HLBucket2.jpg

XS850HLBucket3.jpg

My bike is very bare minimum wiring. Not blinkers, not indicator lights no starter. Current dirt bike headlight is just a three prong that is wired to a toggle switch with high and low.

Would love a neutral indicator light.

Appreciate y’all sharing what y’all run 🙏🏼

I run a stock unit as well. I got an H4 from an XS850 triple off eBay for around $25. This was the complete headlight assembly (bucket, chrome rim, light). I knew the light would swap into my 650 bucket because the chrome rim is the same. At the moment, I just have the light installed but may eventually try the bucket as well. The way it bulges out on the bottom may provide more room for the wiring .....

View attachment 258423

View attachment 258424
Yeah, thats an Emgo headlight set up...I've been contemplating putting one on my 1970 CB350 because the old Honda headlight buckets literally crumble into a gazzilion pieces if you touch them. They look really good and come in either chrome or black shells.

Here’s a little update. Scored a tank off eBay, bought the wrong “special” gas cap lol. Took the sportster tank off and removed the seat so tank would fit. New old stock tank need to be lined and fitted with petcock and painted. Nothing is bolted down just resting on for visual purposes. Need to rig up a pin for rear of tank mount and c cups on the frame.

There’s a brace that needs to be rearrange in order for the seat to go back on. You can see it in the last pic over the rear tire.

Looks like I’m going to be doing some cutting/grinding and welding.

I’m contemplating whether to keep the seat or go the brat tracker look. I’ve always liked the flat tracker look and always wanted one, but after seeing a brat tracker. My brain started to turn.

Bike lives on the the step up in front of my wife’s car. Installed the tennis ball just to be safe 😉

Also another question, if previous owner rattle canned the rims. Is there a way to remove the paint? Would like to get them back to their stock look.
That Special tank already looks a hundred times better than that Sporty peanut tank did on there...much better!

Back