First time owner and first post

TXterror

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Aaron and I’m a soon to be owner of a 1980 xs650 fitted in a flat tracker set up. I haven‘t ridden in possibly almost 10 years and excited to get back on two wheels. First bike was a 1975 cb400f supersport, which I regret selling but things happen, right? Always been a fan of the look xs650‘s but never found a good deal on one, until recently. At least from what I can tell from photos. Bike runs and is road ready.

Bike is currently at the in-laws in AZ and i will be picking up later next month. Was located in their town so I had my father in law purchase before it slipped away.

when I had the cb400f, the forums were the best and I learned a lot from the kind folks that were patient with my questions. Figured I join this forum to help with my new to me xs650.

first question, how would I go about ditching the current tank and slapping on a tank that is level with the seat? From the pics, seems like the c cups that the stock tanks rest on are no longer there. I think I’ll stick to the flat track style.

Thanks in advance for the help.
009.jpeg
007.jpeg
006.jpeg
008.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the madhouse!!

Forewarned is forearmed.... Probably 90% of XS' for sale out there, advertised as "ready to ride".... aren't. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's just the way it is. On the bright side, you've come to the right place for help and knowledge. No matter the condition, with the forums help, nothing is impossible on these bikes.

Welcome to the madhouse!!

Forewarned is forearmed.... Probably 90% of XS' for sale out there, advertised as "ready to ride".... aren't. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's just the way it is. On the bright side, you've come to the right place for help and knowledge. No matter the condition, with the forums help, nothing is impossible on these bikes.
Appreciate it

Father in law had a mechanic look at it and confirmed

Last edited:
Hello Aaron, Welcome to the forum.
Plenty of info available in the ‘garage’ and the ‘tech’ section.
XS650 tanks don’t easily suit the Tracker style In my opinion.
I used a Kawasaki tank on my bike. No idea what model, but it works.
Check thread: XS650 A 23 YEAR BIKE CHASE

Thanks, appreciate it. I’ll take a look

just had a look and that’s a beautiful Machine you have. Tank fits nicely.

That looks good! Not rad (and that's OK) seems well executed.
Yeah that tank is going to limit your range pretty severely
You ask the right guy and c-cups can be found.
Not THOSE, get your minds off that!
:twocents:You'll want to confirm the carbs have been jetted for that pipe. Plenny O guys have holed a piston running a two into one with too lean carbs.
They'll bop around town just fine but hit the road and bam holed piston.

Nice project! Tank ? I’d say your original mounts are likely all removed which gives you about any choice of tank you like 👍 keep in mind the approx desired position of the fuel petcock.

That looks good! Not rad (and that's OK) seems well executed.
Yeah that tank is going to limit your range pretty severely
You ask the right guy and c-cups can be found.
Not THOSE, get your minds off that!
:twocents:You'll want to confirm the carbs have been jetted for that pipe. Plenny O guys have holed a piston running a two into one with too lean carbs.
They'll bop around town just fine but hit the road and bam holed piston.
I thought the same when I saw it. seemed like it had good bones to work with. I’m also thinking I could go brat style.

Turn signals ? Horn? Aah, never mind a horn but signals prob , betcha many drivers do not understand hand signals for left or right turns, just the finger

The Sportster peanut tank... and dirt bike style headlight.... Gotto go. The fuel tank " C " cups can be fab'd.... either welded again... paint damage... or drill and bolt in place... fab up a chain guard.... helps keep the bike clean.... even good chain lubes fling.... I have several white motorcycles... keeping them tidy is a chore .... add to the side stand... pocketing a block of wood gets old..... handsome bike.. just needs to be tweaked a bit.... 😎😎

The Sportster peanut tank... and dirt bike style headlight.... Gotto go. The fuel tank " C " cups can be fab'd.... either welded again... paint damage... or drill and bolt in place... fab up a chain guard.... helps keep the bike clean.... even good chain lubes fling.... I have several white motorcycles... keeping them tidy is a chore .... add to the side stand... pocketing a block of wood gets old..... handsome bike.. just needs to be tweaked a bit.... 😎😎
The tank bothers me the most, that will be my first thing to tackle.

Yes, that tank sits too high. You need a tank which settles as low as the seat body lines. A flatter style tank like maybe an XS360/400/500 tank might look right?

Back