1979 special... i think.

griinder

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just found a guy who is selling a '79 special, or so he says. It has dual front discs and a rear drum, mags. Is that stock? I thought rear mag drums were only '78. he says its been sitting outside for a year... seized. oh boy. also, what year did the electronic ignitions start? -

I don't know about the drum question for sure, but I think it has something to do with the diff between the specials and the standards mags.

TCI's started in 1980

Rear drum mag was a later year, '81 I think. Rear mag on a '79 was disc, also front was a single disc. There was a Special II that year with a 16" rear spoked drum. Electronic ignition started in '80. Sounds like this one has had some parts swapped.

Mag drums were indeed only in 81. And as far as I know, no US spec bikes came with twin discs. 79 was the last year for points.

I agree with above, You have wonder if it's a 79 bike or a 79 TITLE. 79 special arrived at my garage yesterday, single disk mag front and back, points. This one also spent the last winter outside but it has good tires compression and a healthy spark. Boober builders come and get it. If I remember what I saw yesterday F20 is the 79 special VIN. Adding the second disk is a simple cheap straight forward project easily done with fleabay parts from an XS750. Changing it to a rear drum would be a little harder. If it has the 79 VIN you might want to look pretty close at it see what else has gone on in it's life. Bikes built up from parts can have some uh, interesting quirks.

79special 001 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
You should check the Vin no's, The engine and frame no's should be the same. This is the only way to know what you have.

78/79 Specials, 79 Special 2 and 80G Special 2, Oll have a hinged seat, and metal side-covers, good way to determine the year of the frame.

78SE/79SF/80SG Specials have a disc rear brake Mag wheel

79 Special 2 has a drum rear spoke wheel

78/79 Specials Have points ignition, 80 and later went to the electronic ignition

Confused :D Haven't added the 78/79 Standards yet :laugh: the 78/79 year was transitional from the Standard to Special and was the only time Standards and Specials were sold at the same time.

Here is a Buyers Guide for the Oceania market and shows the different year/models. This is a guide only as there were differences for the US market, the US had single Disk front brake and got electronic ignition on the 80SG and later. Good reading HERE

Back