For Sale - 1979 XS650 Special Red/Gold going on Ebay soon or?

restroem

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Finally done, and done right. Wanna give the community a chance before ebay, no low balls, be real and send the BEST offer.
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special, Red with gold accent badges. Purchased from the original owner locally and I have a signed CT title in hand. This cycle has 7000 original miles and was in a garage for a few years after the owner could not ride anymore due to health reasons. I purchased it in 2013 and here's what I did.
Removed the dirty petcocks, Specials have two, drained the gas and cleaned the entire tank three times with Restorer to find absolutely no residue or gunk came out. The orange tinge to the tank was not rust, felt inside and it was creamed. Purchased two replacement petcocks from Mikes XS and installed them with new gaskets, perfect. Cleaned, Cleaned and polished for many hours. Front forks were stripped of the nasty yellow clear coat and polished up.
Front rim showed one questionable area of corrosion which I did not feel comfortable with, so I purchased a better rim and added a brand new front tire which was installed by Cycle Gear in Manchester CT.. Flushed the front and back brake lines completely. New brake pistons and all the associated gaskets are new, not refurbished, NEW! . Pads are thick and clean. Plugs, Oil, new battery, all done. Carburetors disassembled and cleaned down to the letter. New carb float on the left side from Mikes XS.
New main fuse, even has the original rubber battery case which is mint and tool kit are in the bike. I have the owner's manual, Yamaha repair manual, and other paperwork from the original owner. It was registered previously in CT and is an original survivor. No problem with registering it anywhere. The front fender does show a little patina and surface rust in very few spots. The rear fender, tail light, are chrome and perfect The tank has a few very small marks, but no dents or dings. The side covers are absolutely perfect with original insignia and mounting tabs. All the electrics work perfectly and there are two brand new Mikes Air Cleaners installed. Engine is clean, no accidents or drops ever. Timing and safety check were performed by JSE Performance in Somers CT this week to ensure all was in order at a cost lol, and she is ready for the road. I have done a few cycles in the past and I take my time, making sure it's done right. All my best efforts were put into this XS to bring it back to original working order. I wouldn't like to see it chopped, but whatever you do is up to you, it's a cool twin of 70's history. Great bike, now on to another project. Cheers! Oh and I have the original high backrest too, just looks cooler without it. NO overseas transactions and shipping will be the responsibility of the buyer, I'm not driving it anywhere! Come get it or have a truck come get it at my address, no offense but shipping bikes has brought me heartaches in the past, shippers won't even help you off the trailer at their site in the rain if you get my drift. Thanks! I will post pics when I get it later this week or next week. This is when I got her, so it's better than this. http://s159.photobucket.com/user/ericp2/library/?sort=3&page=1

Back