For Sale - For Sale: 1979 XS650

sammy31

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
This bike starts and runs perfectly but is in no way a perfect example of a 1979 XS. The bike clearly has some history that has been lost in the last 43 years. It's been brought to my attention that the speedometer is not original so actual mileage is unknown. This is clearly not a museum piece however, I still believe it's a great bike.

Recent work includes:
Fuel tank interior resurfaced
New petcocks, fuel lines and filters
Carbs cleaned
New Spark plugs
New handlebar bushings
K&N air filters
Front Master cylinder rebuild
Saddleman seat cover
and more

Asking $4,000

Bike is located in Glendale, Arizona. Happy to answer any questions or provide more pictures. Message me at sammy31@cox.net
Please forgive any posting errors, I'm new to the group.

IMG_2178.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    809.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    826.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2182.JPG
    IMG_2182.JPG
    733.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    680.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    622.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    423.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2189.JPG
    IMG_2189.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Hi Sammy, I live in Surprise Arizona, not too far from you. I have seen your bike in our local Craigslist, it’s a great looking , well preserved bike. I’m not shopping for a bike right now but I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. You mentioned that the gas tank has been resurfaced. Are you saying that it has had the rust removed from the insides or that it has a liner installed? Good luck with your sale, that was a good year.

Hi Sammy, I live in Surprise Arizona, not too far from you. I have seen your bike in our local Craigslist, it’s a great looking , well preserved bike. I’m not shopping for a bike right now but I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. You mentioned that the gas tank has been resurfaced. Are you saying that it has had the rust removed from the insides or that it has a liner installed? Good luck with your sale, that was a good year.
Hey neighbor:) I the POR kit to remove the rust and re-seal the interior of the tank.

Always nice to see another standard in good shape.
I try very hard not to be a cynic, but I have to note that that the aftermarket seat cover, aftermarket mufflers and lack of fork tube dust caps indicate that this bike is not in "original condition".
And I'm pretty tired of folks saying that their bike has the "expected patina" for the age; to me, I expect a bike to be really well cared for and therefore have no patina (degradation of the paint and metal surfaces). I would describe this bike as being "a little rough".
And I think you are asking way too much $ for this bike.
Thanks for your feedback "Dude". And thanks for pointing out some discrepancies. Not all of us are XS experts like you seem to be. The bike belongs to a buddy and this is the way he got it. Sadly, and apparently, this bike has more of a story to tell and much of it is lost to history. I'm just now finding that out.

This forum has been very helpful to a novice mechanic like myself and I appreciate the information so many of you have been kind enough to share.

I'll update my listing to reflect what I have learned. I still think the bike is in great condition and reflects the 43 years it's been rolling around this planet.

I still think the bike is in great condition and reflects the 43 years it's been rolling around this planet.
Your bike is also rare as far as an XS650 goes. 1979 was the last hurrah for the standard. Specials out numbered them by at least 7 to 1 is what I’ve been told. What you can get for it remains to be seen. The rarity can’t hurt.

Asking $4,500
I think you are asking way too much $ for this bike.
I see you have lowered your price Sammy.

Unless the person, stating your price is to high, is in negotiations to buy it then they have no right to question your sale price.

Is it to high, maybe, but then it would sit for weeks or longer, then obviously the market would dictate the price be lowered if a quick sale was wanted...........or sit on the price and advertise else where, where the original price could be got and would be in the ball park. ...............Can always come down in negotiations.

Your original price would not be considered excessive on E-bay and would be considered low for what bikes are selling for on BAT.

Advertising on this site also means the members are reluctant to pay top $ because they have seen how bikes value has increased and often they will still want a price they payed for a bike to be the same as it was several years ago, if they were considering buying now

There is a bike for sale on here, that is less rare and they are asking $800 more than your original price and i don't see anyone questioning that price.

Don't be intimidated and react to other peoples complaints, just because you think they may know more than you.

As the bike isn't yours you do have a responsibility to get what it is worth, or as much as you can for your friend

Do some research and don't just rely on one persons opinion

Like everyone else at this Forum as well as all those living in countries that are not ruled by a tyrant, I have the right to question anyone or anything I see.
It is called freedom of speech.

And you have the right to criticize me.

No argument here on freedom of speach..........the site does have a couple of rules. If you are posting within the Site guidelines/rules then there is no argument. can you say you have posted within those rules

Back