For Sale - 1979 XS650 Street Tracker

Hey Gary. You couldn't offend me if you tried. After all, you're just an image on my computer screen!:D First, it IS on ebay. Been there over a week and lots of looks but no bites. Doesn't surprise me, It's the wrong time of year (at least here in the US) to be selling a bike. I'm just fishing at this point. Second, although I'm a bit prejudiced I agree the Yamaha is pleasing to the eye. Third, The Husky weighs 'bout a hundred pounds less, has modern suspension and about the same horsepower. It's just a better over all bike for what I need it for (mostly tearing up the twisties). As I've stated in another thread if I had the money and room I'd keep it. It's great fun in it's own right. But being a retired mechanic I feel the need to get my hands dirty again. The fun was in the build. With all that being said I will not give the bike away and if it doesn't sell for a decent price I'll keep it, ride it, and think of something else to do.

Cheers

I know what you mean about having a modern bike for a daily ride, no pre or post trip adjustments or repairs , not worried about scratching it or breaking it , just get on and ride. I think $6500 is a steal for your bike .

pregrid;

That's a very nice looking bike. Its plain to see, you did a lot of detail work, and the whole package is very pleasing to the eye.

The $6500 price is a real stretch though. It's still an old bike with an old engine (granted with lots of new parts). The young lads can go out and buy a new or almost new bike for that same money. I'm thinking in comparison to something like a Kawasaki Versys.

I'm suspecting you have maybe $4000 into the total cost of the bike. Yes, it would be nice to make $2500 profit for your time and labour on the project. However, the market is the market, and you are competeing with a lot of nice new bikes.

Its strange how many will say "its a steal", yet there is no one coming up with the cash.

I think its been stated in other threads, that this is a great hobby to build a bike for one's own enjoyment, but very difficult to build a bike and make a good profit when selling.

I know I have about $4500 into my bike. Would I be able to sell it for $4500 to even recover my costs...................I strongly doubt it. My bike gives me a lot of enjoyment, and I consider the $4500 to be a cheap price.

Dave, really? I have a bookmark for XS650's on Ebay and have not seen it. Also street trackers. Just saying.

It's in a friend's store
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-1979...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3ccbe06c82

I'm suspecting you have maybe $4000 into the total cost of the bike

You would suspect wrong. I'm losing money at $6500.00. This may be a home built but I'm pretty anal when it comes to things like this. For instance, have you looked at the price of gold lately? The lettering on the tank is gold leaf. Real gold leaf. You could build this bike for less but not with the level of detail that has been put into this bike. Did I go overboard? Maybe. Is it worth $6500.00? Maybe not. We'll see. No offence but you'd be hard put to find a flaw anywhere. And if it doesn't sell, as I've said, It'll stay in my garage and I'll ride the piss out of it!

Peace..............

Hey Dave!
Good luck with the sale!
I'm in kind of the same boat... Now that I sorted out the mechanicals, and have actually had a chance to ride mine, I'm thinking about changing it to a cafe style :-0
More of the fun is in the build ;-)

Hey Dave!
Good luck with the sale!
I'm in kind of the same boat... Now that I sorted out the mechanicals, and have actually had a chance to ride mine, I'm thinking about changing it to a cafe style :-0
More of the fun is in the build ;-)

:thumbsup:

It's in a friend's store
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-1979...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3ccbe06c82

You would suspect wrong. I'm losing money at $6500.00. This may be a home built but I'm pretty anal when it comes to things like this. For instance, have you looked at the price of gold lately? The lettering on the tank is gold leaf. Real gold leaf. You could build this bike for less but not with the level of detail that has been put into this bike. Did I go overboard? Maybe. Is it worth $6500.00? Maybe not. We'll see. No offence but you'd be hard put to find a flaw anywhere. And if it doesn't sell, as I've said, It'll stay in my garage and I'll ride the piss out of it!

Peace..............

The bike is extremely well done :thumbsup:..................good luck with the sale.

Knowing what I have invested in my Tracker build so far, and knowing what Pregrid has done to his that I still have to do to mine, I honestly believe $6500 is a loss.

For sure, there is a market for these bikes in the $4000 to $4500 range. Knowing that, a builder who wishes to sell the bike, should stop pouring money into the project when it reaches that level.

Of course, if you are enjoying the build, then just keep increasing your costs, realizing that the dollars added beyond the market price, will not be recovered in the sale. Those extra dollars are just the "enjoyment" cost of the hobby.

I honestly did not start this build with the intention of selling it. The thought never even crossed my mind. I have a tendency to keep things for a very long time. Been married over 43 years, still live in the house we bought in 1971, still driving my 1979 truck that I bought new. I've got underwear that's older than my kids (ok, that might be a lie). It's just that when it was done it was kind of a let down. I love working with my hands. It's just that I'm no woodworker (I can turn any piece of wood into kindlin' in a second), renovating the house is too much like work, and I'm not artistic in any way. Still, if I can find something to do on a smaller scale I'll keep the bike and move on. No rush in any case.

Having the build thread on here should help you get your asking price. A potential buyer can see the bike being built . I think you should probably haul it to a bike show if you can get a space cheap enough or share space with someone .

Let down???? WTF? That build is inspiring. Ive followed so many bike builds that were just thrown together on here without a whole lot of thought or attention to detail like yours. This one is well thought out, detailed and well......Pretty fucking cool. It only takes one person with the cash to give you what you want. Hold out for close to your asking price. You may get it come spring. Good luck

Let down???? WTF? It only takes one person with the cash to give you what you want. Hold out for close to your asking price. You may get it come spring. Good luck

Let down in the sense that the build was over. Not with the result. My eyes still work pretty good and I'm really happy with the result.

And yes, right now there's virtually no wiggle room as far as the price is concerned. If it doesn't sell now I'll re-list it in the spring. I'm in no hurry. I don't have to sell it (ever, actually). Just like to start another project.

"I'm not artistic in any way"

I beg to differ sir! That bike is the essence of artistry. Maybe I'm your guy, (I'm sitting here wondering how many motorcycles I can park in my wife's side of the garage before she decides to have me committed). Hold to your price, that thing is ART!

roy

"I'm not artistic in any way"

I beg to differ sir! That bike is the essence of artistry. Maybe I'm your guy, (I'm sitting here wondering how many motorcycles I can park in my wife's side of the garage before she decides to have me committed). Hold to your price, that thing is ART!

roy

Bless you my son!

Back