For Sale - 1980 cafe/tracker

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
Have a 1980 Yamaha XS650 which is set up as a cafe bike but can easily be converted to a street tracker, I have the bars etc and they go with the bike. Current registration and license, not a 'ran when parked' thing.

List of goodies: Mikes XS stock bore big fin cylinder and new pistons, new cam chain and guides, valves resurfaced, 650 Central Mikunis with pod filters, Mikes XS 2 into 1 megaphone (sounds great!) PAMCO ignition with E advancer, hydraulic clutch conversion (if you know XS's you'll know this is A Big Deal), HD clutch plates and springs, 11mm front master cylinder (great brake feel compared to stock), rear disc brake conversion, 18" XS500 rear wheel with new JT steel sprockets and O ring chain, new Shinko 712 tires (Metzeler copy), Hotwing Glass front and rear fenders also aluminum tag bracket, EMGO fairing, Mikes XS mini tach and speedo, Dime City Cycle LED taillight, new battery, forks rebuilt, I'm sure I am leaving some stuff out. The stock charging system is intact and works like a champ, unlike some I have seen. Has the typical noisy electric starter (WTH, Yamaha?) but it works fine.

The bike runs and rides like new, reliable as a rock. About the only thing I have planned if I keep it is a Omar's fork brace and stiffer fork springs, I also have a 400 Yamaha fuel tank (steel copy of the aluminum YZ fuel tank) that I had planned to modify and install that will go with the bike. To see how that would look, go to mulemotorcycles.net and check out his YZ tank conversions.

This bike is NOT junk. I am selling it only because I just don't ride it much, my background is dirt riding and this bike isn't suited for that. For that reason I might be interested in trades involving 450 cc and up dual sports, sorry no Kawasaki KLR's or Suzuki DR's. KTM's and nice XL650 Hondas might get my attention.

No excuses, no fooling around, no joy riders or tire kickers. I might dicker but it won't be a whole bunch.

EDIT: Woops, would help to include a price, wouldn't it? $2950.00 or reasonable near offer. Looks like my original pics went away, here's a slightly older one and I'll put up some more current pics soon.

xs650andbrownswelding.jpg

Last edited:
Damn pictures went away, I'll fix that. The bike is still for sale, health problems dictate that I need to move it sooner than later. $2950 or reasonable near offer.

In keeping with the normal operation of my usual old man memory, a few things I forgot I did: tapered steering neck bearings, bronze swingarm bushings, rewired with ATC fuses. I'm sure there will be MORE stuff I forgot.

The side number plates are .080 aluminum sheet, brushed finish with clearcoat. Since I detest rusty bolt heads just about everything on the bike has stainless Allen bolts, the lower shock bolts were a BITCH to find. Other stuff has chromed heads.

Right now the bike has a black EMGO fairing and drag bars on it, kind of a semi cafe look. I also have a set of clubmans and a set of street tracker bars that will go with it, you can do it your way!

Back