1980 SE Coil mount size

highboy_coupe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help me, I measured my coil mount holes at 100mm centre to centre, yet when I try to look for a new coil they all seem to be 90mm, how is this possible??
I bought a cheap coil on the off chance it would fit and it is just over 90mm, so no.

Was there any variance in the TCI dual coil used?

Thanks

The wiring ends changed from single bullets to one 2 wire plug, but I don't think the mount spacing ever changed .....

ky2ATFi.jpg

A nice, cheap replacement is the Honda MP08 coil. Of course, mount hole spacing differs, as does the ''plane" they're in (up and down instead of through the side), so little adapter brackets will need to be made. But I feel it's all worth it. They can be had dirt cheap and are very reliable. They also allow changing the plug wires .....

8jLc0Yh.jpg

FNXKQXX.jpg

ARWm3F3.jpg

hmzRBk1.jpg

c9kWv1W.jpg

The wiring ends changed from single bullets to one 2 wire plug, but I don't think the mount spacing ever changed .....

ky2ATFi.jpg

A nice, cheap replacement is the Honda MP08 coil. Of course, mount hole spacing differs, as does the ''plane" they're in (up and down instead of through the side), so little adapter brackets will need to be made. But I feel it's all worth it. They can be had dirt cheap and are very reliable. They also allow changing the plug wires .....

8jLc0Yh.jpg

FNXKQXX.jpg

ARWm3F3.jpg

hmzRBk1.jpg

c9kWv1W.jpg
That's a great tip, thanks.

Strange all the new parts sellers seem to be offerimg a coil spaced at 90mm, I have measured a few times now for my own sanity, and it's definitely 100 my bike.

Back