1980 xs650 break levers

1980 xs650 bobby

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the regular brake levers that came stock on the bike and am looking to upgrade. My handlebars are 7/8 I'm just wondering what aftermarket shorty levers are available for the bike. Do I need ones that come with the reservoir? Will they fit as long as it says 7/8 help me out :(

I'm not sure what break levers are. I know what brake levers are though.
Most any 7/8 lever will fit your bars. For the disc brake, yes you need a reservoir.
There are plenty of front brake master cylinders out there that fit 7/8's bars. Finding ones that have a matching clutch lever might be a chore.
Finding short levers that fit the front brake and clutch perches on your bike might be a trick too.
You might find a shorty clutch lever a bit hard too pull, most find the stock lever a bit tough.
For the short levers I might try looking a dirt bike/ motocross controls.
Leo

I have the regular brake levers that came stock on the bike and am looking to upgrade. My handlebars are 7/8 I'm just wondering what aftermarket shorty levers are available for the bike. Do I need ones that come with the reservoir? Will they fit as long as it says 7/8 help me out :(

Hi bobby,
yeah, any 7/8th-inch shorty clutch lever will work.
Your choice of shorty front brake lever will need to have a master cylinder with an appropriate piston diameter.
Note that the '77 & newer master cylinder's 11/16" piston diameter was sized to work two brake calipers
despite North American XS650s only having a single caliper.
Your replacement brake lever's piston diameter should be in the 11mm to 13mm range to get a good "feel".
And while you are upgrading, swap all of the bike's brake lines from the stock fabric-reinforced ones to
stainless steel wire braid reinforced ones. The stockers are 20+ years past their "best before" dates
and bulged under pressure even when they were new.

Do you think these will work

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171112-221103.png
    Screenshot_20171112-221103.png
    230 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20171112-221053.png
    Screenshot_20171112-221053.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 111
Do you think these will work

Hi bobby,
Will they fit on your 'bars and is the 1/2" master cylinder a good size to operate a 1980 XS650's single front caliper?
Yes and yes.
Will their stubby length suit your hands?
Only you can tell.
Note that both levers mirror mounts will most likely have right-hand threads so you'll need a rightie/leftie adapter if you plan to use the stock Yamaha mirrors.

Hi bobby,
Will they fit on your 'bars and is the 1/2" master cylinder the right size to operate a 1980 XS650's single front caliper?
Yes and yes.
Will their stubby length suit your hands?
Only you can tell.
Note that both levers mirror mounts will most likely have right-hand threads so you'll need a rightie/leftie adapter if you plan to use the stock Yamaha mirrors.
I ordered a pair of bar end mirrors so hopefully that will not be an issue. Thankyou very much for your insight, i really appreciate all the help.

Back