1980 XS650 Project

Hoffo

XS Newbie
Reaction score
Hello there, I happened across a neglected project and got bit by the build bug. This will be my second build.
The 650 frame is hardtailed, it has a welded swing arm. I have ordered an Ardtail for it.
I have a couple 3 gallon peanut tanks kickin around, but I think they might be too big..
ride.jpg

I also have a bin of parts that came with it. I will be sorting through them and seein what is needed..
Lookin forward to this venture..

bin.jpg

parts.jpg

Attachments

• bin.jpg
    bin.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 122
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 115
Waiting for some 10" narrow apes to come in. still waiting on the ardcore Hardtail. been more than 5 weeks, Im getting anxious.. once the hardtail is done, I am going to take the motor out, do some polishing and get set up to do a remote oil filter modification.

So the brown Van came today and left a note on the door. Seems I owe an additional 125 in brokerage fees for the hardtail.... so, tomorrow I wait for the van.. Im stoked!!!

after inspection. the unit seems to be of great quality.. there is some shipping damage though.. slight.. but, I will be making a few calls to see if its going to be an issue...

the backbone slot is out of round.
bent.jpg

outofround.jpg

I am so stoked!!!:D

Good luck on your build Hoffo! Yeah that ardcore tail will be a great improvement. I wouldn't worry about that backbone slot. Make sure you get some pics of your progress.

Progress was slow today.. but heres where I am at.
almost.jpg

the bike was partially torndown when I got it, I have a question about the top triple tree..
pictured below, what are these holes for?
toptriple1.jpg

Im going to use as much of the stock parts as possible. I do want to go with some spoked rims eventually.. as well as rear disc brakes.. taking this apart I noticed the front wheel was mounted backwards..

i will be doing an oil mod of somesort though, was hoping to do an external oil filter, but after searching the site. i may just go with the oil filter mod from mikesxs.

Just spoke with a buddy, going to get this chopped and welded over the holidays.. So I have a set of mini apes that I need to widen an inch in the center where it gets clamped to the risers, I plan on running the wires through the bars.

Back