1980 XS650 Project

Stimpert

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I purchased this 1980 XS650 for 50$ this past weekend. I want to do a bobber project with the hardtail TC Bros kit.

Some things I would like to do:

As minimal wiring/lights/switches as possible!

I would like to remove the electric starter.

I would like all my charging/ignition system to be new, along with a new wire harness for the minimization of electricals.

Any advice and known forum pages to help me out on these topics would be great! Have been searching the forums as well.

Welcome to the forum!
Yeah.... looks like you have some work to do there. ;)

Yes I do. But I want to go bobber style. (So I won't reuse much factory body components, and I know it will take many months/years even depending on life of course) And I want to keep it forever. So once I am done eliminating things, I want the rest of the motor/electrical to be new. Even if I stick with original this or that, I'd like it to be new. I'm in no hurry to get it done. Just want it done right the first time is all.

Also, I am a diesel mechanic by trade. I live and breathe motors and wrenching. I have family who are engineers and welders for doing various frame things and welding(so welding up a hardtail kit, or making my own is covered there as we have commercial tubing benders etc.
My old man is a ex-bodyman who was a pro sprayer(so paint is covered)
My coworker is an oldie but an electrical wiz and hardcore bike enthusiast(so I have those points covered as well)

New isn't always better. Take for instance, the charging system. Stock, these use a 3 phase alternator similar to a car. It's a proven system and can be made to work very reliably for usually not much money. A common "mod" on these is to do away with it and install an aftermarket PMA (Pain in My Ass, as I call them, lol). Unfortunately, most of the PMA kits sold for the 650 are full of low quality Chinese components and problems are common. They can usually be sorted if you throw a few hundred dollars at them, but that's on top of the 3 or 4 hundred you already spent on the kit. You can usually upgrade the stock system for around $50 or less (new regulator, rectifier, and brushes).

Read around the site here and you'll find lots written about upgrading the stock charging system. Being an automotive design, that means we're able to use car regulators. They are both low cost and very reliable. For your model, there's one from a Fiat that many are using. It's very compact, cheap ($10 to $15), and looks good too.

Back