1980 XS650 Special Wheels and Tires

Daniel Hunwick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I bought a stock 1980 XS650 Special over the summer and I’m looking into purchasing new wheels and tires. Does anyone know what the maximum wheel and tire size is if I leave everything stock? I want to switch to spoke wheels and beefier looking tires without spending a ton of money. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Nothing much larger than stock will fit without mods or affecting handling. To keep the rear disk you will have to look at wheels from other bikes and probably have to make spacers.

I was looking around earlier and every site says that Dunlop K70’s 19”x3.5 will fit both wheels on the stock bike.. I’m so lost, haha.

150B887F-9312-4753-BCBD-65A5ADA6CB84.jpeg
DB325DF9-2EFE-4B08-BAC2-9CF1A0B3139C.jpeg
Firestone Deluxe Champion (Coker tire)
On stock 1980 xs650 special II spoke wheels (painted satin black)

3.25-19 (front)
5.00-16 (rear)

The XS650 only used the rear disc brake on the alloy mag wheels. The wire spoke wheels only had drum brakes.
If you want spoke wheels and disc brake you need to adapt wheels from other bikes. This allows you to run wheels and tires like sport bikes run.
In my opinion this is a waste of effort. The XS650 frame isn't designed to utilize such performance tires. The frame isn't stiff enough und the suspension isn't up to the task.
Tires much wider than stock won't fit in the forks or swing arm.
Some people do it anyway. As much for the look than the performance. If you want a sport bike, buy one. The XS650 with a few handling upgrades and modern tires can be ridden pretty hard.
New neck bearings, swing arm bushes, rear shocks and front fork upgrades along with good tires greatly enhance handling.
Leo

Hey!
I bought a stock 1980 XS650 Special over the summer and I’m looking into purchasing new wheels and tires. Does anyone know what the maximum wheel and tire size is if I leave everything stock? I want to switch to spoke wheels and beefier looking tires without spending a ton of money. Thoughts?
Thanks!

Hi Daniel and welcome,
Thoughts?
It ain't how tires look that matters, it's how they grip the road.
The stock 100/90-19 front tire can't go much bigger before it rubs on the front fender and your bike's stock 130/90-16 is the fattest rear tire that'll fit in the swingarm.
If your bike has 7-spoke cast wheels they'll run tubeless tires so a can of fix-a-flat will get you home rather than removing a wheel and patching a tube or calling a tow truck.
If you are all about aesthetics, swap to 1975-ish XS650 deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels, IMHO the prettiest XS650 wheels Yamaha ever made.
The front is a straight plug-in.
The rear runs a 110/90-18 tire which corners quicker but is less stable going straight and needs a few parts swapped to install because it has a drum brake.
I did that swap on my own Heritage Special but swapped back when I got sick of keeping the wire wheels polished.
The wire wheels are now on my son's 1980 Special and he's happy to keep them looking good.

Yes, and for you quite simple because you already have the drum rear brake. Just get spoke wheels from another XS650 model, they'll swap right in. The only decision you'll have to make is whether you want a 16" or 18" rear wheel. They came in both sizes. You'll get more of the "fat tire" look with the 16".

Back