1980 XS650 "special" with side hinged seat?

ericmu17

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is this possible?.......my title says 1980 XS650......I thought the seat was supposed to be rear latching...but its side. Does this mean I can use the older style standard seats?

The 1980 Special II retained the side hinge seat of the 1978 and 1979 Specials. The Special II had less chrome than the Special, had a fender mounted taillight, and was equipped with spoked wheels instead of mags.

So thats what I have, wicked

I've been trying to figure a few things out about my bike for awhile

Thanks for filling in the blanks danno :thumbsup:

You wouldn't happen to know anything else about the "Special II" would you?

Indeed danno!!!! Thats exactly what I have! Yes anything else that you might know about this bike would be greatly appreciated.

I had a Special II seat on my '77D. I moved the foam and cover over to my '77 seat pan. You should test before buying because I can't be 100% sure but I think it might be okay to use a standard seat on a Special II.

The side covers will look funny if they fit at all with the standard seat. See the special seat runs on an angle from the tank down but the standard seat has a flange that runs straight along the frame tube. The special II side cover may interfere at the front of the standard seat.

Tom Graham

Back