1981 Advance/Breaker Pieces

xs650special

James
Reaction score
Finally got my new cylinder head on and ready to put the motor back on the frame but ran into a problem. It's been a while since I took the motor apart and when I got to the the advance/breaker I don't clearly remember what goes where. I know the back plate goes on and is held on by the screws with the star washers and the plastic gromments goes in between the back plate and the chrome cover. My question is what else am I missing?

Attachments

• GZ250 052.jpg
    GZ250 052.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 95
  • GZ250 053.jpg
    GZ250 053.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 76
The housings mount with the three screws, then the covers go on with two screws. The only thing I don't see are the o-rings that go on the housings and the gasket that goes between the housings and head.
Leo

Yes, use only 3 screws per side (someone tried to use 5 and caused a few problems).

There is a gasket and an O-ring, as well as the oil seal on each side. Its very important that the oil seal be installed fully to the inward side of each housing. Its also important that the camshaft is centred so that there is an equal amount of camshaft protruding from each end.

Attachments

• Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Camshaft pin R1.JPG
    Camshaft pin R1.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 68
That great news, thought I may have lost some pieces. So when you'll say O-ring is it a piece that goes on the back side of the back plate? I do have gaskets to put there but I'm not entirely clear on the O-ring.

You can clearly see the o-ring laying on top of the gasket on the right housing in RG's 1st pic.

Awesome I see it. Cool, I'm going to make sure the cam shaft is equal on both sides and then get this stuff together so I can get my motor back on the bike. Thanks everyone for your fast replies and knowledge.

Back