1981 xs 650 wont shift through 5th

Bruce Wayne

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i've been working on my xs650 special lately and haven't been able to figure out whats wrong... here's the issue
I've had this bike for a couple years now and just realized last winter that I was supposed to have a fifth gear but it would only shift up to fourth. I ordered a clymer manual to help me out and tore off the right crankcase cover to check the shift shaft. The shaft seemed a little bit off from how it's supposed to be in second and third gear, which I would adjust accept I couldn't figure out how to get to the adjusting screw... Do I have to take off all the screws on the front of the clutch?

Second question... I tightened up the shifter on the left side since it was loose. Decided to check if fifth gear was present and it was! I was amazed and thought that maybe that was the only issue. I shifted through a few more times just to be sure and on the fifth or 6th time it wouldn't shift into fifth anymore. What does this mean? will adjusting the shift shaft fix this?

Thanks

Had this issue on one of mine. Shimmed out the lateral free play in the shift shaft (behind circlip on the LHS of the case) and 5th was back! Try pulling the shaft outward while shifting by hand (and turning the rear wheel by hand on centrestand) to see if this makes a difference. May not but easy fix if it works. Otherwise may be time to pull the clutch.

Back