81 xs 650 transmisson install

rem61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello xs Comrades,

I'm rebuilding my engine and have installed the transmission back into the upper case. Both trani pieces were taken apart cleaned and reassembled, adding a new fifth gear from Mikes. When I go through the shifting sequence from first to fifth and back, sometimes the gears hang up. The "dogs" if that's the correct terminology will occasionally hang up on the mating gears. Looking at some YouTube videos, this doesn't happen with some good videos I've seen. Any help would be appreciated as I certainly don't want to seal the cases then discover an issue later. See attached photo of my trani.

Attachments

• Trani.jpg
    Trani.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 50
I've only split the cases twice over the years and it's been awhile.... Perhaps..... pour some oil on the gears and see if that solves the issues..... being " dry " they could be difficult.... Perhaps... ? 😎

Thanks Motormike. I have applied oil on the gears for engine assembly, which didn't make a difference.

Last edited:
Thanks Motormike. I have applied oil on the gears for engine assembly, which didn't make difference.
It’s the MikesXS gears sticking? There’s always a very strong possibility of defective parts coming from there, although I’ve not heard of issues with that gear.

It’s the MikesXS gears sticking? There’s always a very strong possibility of defective parts coming from there, although I’ve not heard of issues with that gear.
Thank you for the reply. The gear looks fine to me. It's not just that gear. Several bind when going through the sequence. If I line them up they continue to go through the gears but it takes clicking move a gear, clicking move another gear etc.

The "dogs" if that's the correct terminology will occasionally hang up on the mating gears.

Is it always the same gear that hangs or is it random? If it's always the same gear, you might have a problem. If it's any random gear, I wouldn't worry about it. In order to shift smoothy without hanging between gears, there has to be a rotation differential between the countershaft and the drive shaft. Try holding some drag on one while rotating the other. does it shift smoothly then?

Jim, I started thinking along those lines. Yes, it's random, if I apply some drag, all gears click into place when upshifting and downshifting. This is my first xs full rebuild so I'm checking myself over and over. Big thank you.

Back