Practice makes Perfect

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Reassembling the bottom half of my motor.

1. I got all the parts cleaned up and checked out

2. Cleaned and lubed all the fasteners and laid out new copper washers

3. Very carefully re-installed the shift drum and forks

4. Laid the transmission shafts in place

5. Doped up the mating surfaces

6. Set the lower case on the upper case and made sure it was flush and all the seals were seated properly.

7. Torqued everything in the proper sequence in three steps.

8. Started to reassemble the external bits of the shifter and realized that

9. I had forgotten to install the freaking starter transfer shaft and gears in the lower case half.

Spit. Bad Breath. Dirty Socks. Various other pithy sayings. Took all the fasteners off, and fortunately the bottom half popped right off and I put the starter bits in and then started over at Step 6...

Hehe!! You are not alone bud!! I had to undo mine about three times because of forgotten things!!! Gives you practice so you can do it quicker next time! Well that is what I keep telling myself!!!

Don't feel bad... Guess I'll have to fes-up as well. I did my cam and rocker cover twice (Practice makes perfect Eh ? :shrug:)
Was so proud to get the cam timing just right, I even took this picture !! Only problem was, I used the wrong mark :doh: Oh well, could have been worse. I knew something was very wrong the first time I turned the motor over by hand. Things don't add up when the cam is off by 90 degrees :laugh: Got some good "PRACTICE" fixing it. Hope your top end goes better than mine did......:thumbsup:

DSC06189_Wrong_zps3314f3c0.jpg

Been there. Done that, during my last rebuild. Forget what it was, but I do recall having to go forward 2-3 steps and had to back track and do it again. All part of the game.

You'd think it'd be difficult to eff up rebuilding a pushrod single, eh?
Wrongo!
Sheets of spark, lotsa gas, kick kick kicked and bloody nothin' happening.
Time constraints forced me to trail it to the rally as a non-runner and whine for help.
Two BSA Gurus diagnosed the problem in one minute:-
"You put the exhaust pushrod on the inlet rocker and the inlet pushrod on the exhaust rocker."
Took the Gurus all of 10 minutes to swap the pushrods back the correct way.
Started first kick.

Back