Kickstart problems

voelser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My kickstart has developed a strange issue. Every so often the kickstart lever will only return to a 9 o’clock position. A little nudge lets it spring back all the way.

The problem started after a kickback (yes, I am aware that could be a timing issue, but I was getting the engine to run to sort that). It doesn’t help that I suck at kickstarting and after hurting myself trying to start its not my fav thing in the world. But unfortunately this engine has none of the internal gears to retrofit an electric start. To make matters harder its a rephased, 750cc engine that was done a while ago by Howard Smedley.

Today I took some time to investigate. Here are my observations and questions:

- removed plugs and turned engine easily by hand on alternator side. So I presume the inner workings are fine;

- dropped the oil. All clear, so presumably no dramatic failures;

- removed clutch cover and inspected all parts on show. All looked like it should and no chips in any cogs I could see;

- removed kickstart assembly. Again looked as it should, worked like it should. I did notice that there was a bit of a rough patch inside the engine casing, but looking online that seems to be common. I’ll attach an image below.

- re-installed kickstart assembly and tested it without the clutch cover on. All seemed to work as it should. I did not that the kickstart assembly cog did not fully mesh with the starter assembly. The slid together about half the way. Is that normal?

- re-installed the clutch cover and tried the kickstart (still with no plugs). Unfortunately the same issue occurred: out of about four turns it would not spring back on one of them. I also noticed that when turning the kickstart it would reach it stop at different places: sometimes all the way to 5 o’clock, mostly to 6 o’clock and once even only to 8 o’clock. I would assume it should be the same each time? I also noticed it is harder to turn the engine on the kickstart then turning it by hand on the alternator. Is that normal?

So current theories:

- something is fouling inside;
- kickstart assembly wrongly installed? But it was working fine before. Ill do some more research on that;
- could the kickstart shaft be bent?

interested to hear your views while I do more research!

Attachments

• DE44CE0C-8B1F-47BC-8360-ACD76D676FAA.jpeg
    DE44CE0C-8B1F-47BC-8360-ACD76D676FAA.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 145
Sounds to me like your helical gear on the shaft is galled or otherwise fouled. Have you removed the bendix from the shaft? Do you have the outer shim between the cover and circlip? Cover alignment could also put the shaft in a bind and cause it to catch.

Thanks for your reply.

I only noticed that the issue had not gone away when I put the casing back on at the end of the day. So the items you raised are worth checking.

it is worth noting that the casing was on since a professional rebuild and fine until recently. and yes, the shim was there..;).

I’ll pop it back open and check the other items over the weekend. Maybe the oilseal is wonky as well.

Back