1981 XS Headlight Safety Relay

Well it runs and I must say quite well. So far just around the neighborhood, but fires up immediately and will sit and idle all day. Down to a few little final chores, front brake light switch, (bought a aftermarket unit which lasted about 12 seconds before shorting out, a used OEM unit is on the way from Flea Bay.) Wet sanded and buffed the tank yesterday, I am a big fan of what you can do with rattle can technology if you take your time. Badges are on the agenda today, thank goodness for JB Weld and its mending properties on 37 year old plastic. It has been a big help having the extra bike in the garage for reference and grab a part if needed. One more will be going up for adoption real soon.......
DSC03408.JPG

Wow that looks fantastic Britman! Curious how fine a grit did you go to with your wet sanding?
I guess you used a 7" buffer, what compound(s) did you use?

Thanks.

Wow that looks fantastic Britman! Curious how fine a grit did you go to with your wet sanding?
I guess you used a 7" buffer, what compound(s) did you use?

Thanks.

I always lay three good coats of clear over the base, again rattle can but good quality. After two or three days curing, best in the sun, I wet sand with 1500 first, then 2000 to cut the orange peel and roughness. A little dishwashing liquid in warm water keeps the surface wet. Then the fun starts, rubbing compound first, polishing compound next, always with a moist cloth, and finally a good cleaner wax. I always do the entire process by hand, you won't burn through the clear and you can see the results as you go through the steps.

Are you talking about their new line of plastic adhesives?

I have used JB Weld on most everything except the cat, I find the 5 minute set is not as strong but seems to work better on plastic. Two of these broke at the screw hole and they are holding fine. I cut in the gold this morning, probably should have had a couple more cups of coffee first. I need to clean them up with a small brush and clear coat, but they will make a good five foot addition to the bikes. (Any closer than five foot will reveal my lack of artistic ability.)

DSC03411.JPG

Just have to wonder if these would be a good candidate for a 3-D printer project. Just make them in black plastic and finish off with some gold paint then clear coat.

Anyone out there do 3-D printing?

Thanks for the info Britman.

Beautiful job!
Turtle wax makes both rubbing and polishing compounds that are easy to get, They're intended to be used by hand like Britman suggested. For pads you can use squares of bath towel with soggy corrugated cardboard for backing; conforms to curves really well and spreads out the pressure a little. The towel holds the compound well.

DSC03443.JPG
DSC03442.JPG
DSC03435.JPG
Well the "Old Girl" has been on CL for a few days now and no takers. (The amount of scammers out there is really unbelievable.) I found a corner that seems to fit fine, so it it doesn't go, I am not that upset. Project #2 got underway today, carbs real gummy and slides stuck, oil looked like it was from the Jurassic period, but overall the condition was better than expected. The Wife doesn't know yet but it looks like one of the two may be staying and I am leaning toward the 81, a little hesitation in the carbs I still need to work out, but out on road it runs great.

I see you have an old Triumph there? How do you think the 650 compares to it? Power output, handling, overall "feel" or personality?

I see you have an old Triumph there? How do you think the 650 compares to it? Power output, handling, overall "feel" or personality?

There is a world of difference between the two. The 64 TR6R has power, but put it this way, it is 1964 power, handling is raw and unrefined and vibration is present at all speeds. Even with all of that it is still a blast to ride.The clutch pull is heavy and you know you are shifting gears not floating through them like the Yamaha and other later machines. The sound between those four gears and believe it or not the smell when parked ( a blend of hot aluminum and gear oil) keeps it in the garage. I really think the XS is in the same range with newer Hinckley Twins Triumph first started back with this time around, I have owned a number of Scramblers and in my humble opinion they are close in rideability. One further note, you always have to remind yourself where the brake and shift pedals are on a British Twin, more than one poor sole has ass ended a car stomping on the shift lever.

Back