For Sale - 1981 XS650 Special - $1000 OBO. Traverse City, MI

pa23driver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My girlfriend is selling her 1981 XS650 Special. she bought it off her uncle, threw enough money at it to get it running and road worthy - skipped the cosmetics - realized she didn't like xs650's :wtf: and now wants to get rid of it. it starts well, runs strong, last compression test showed around 140 psi in each cylinder. at last oil change there wasn't any shit in the filters. stock charging and ignition system.

New parts with less than 200 miles:
tires
throttle and clutch cables
sump filter
chain and both sprockets (all replaced together)
air filters
all-balls rear wheel bearing kit
speedometer cable
alternator brushes
plugs and plug caps
carb boots (from 650central.com, not mikes)
handle bar damper rubbers
1 piece stainless steel brake line (mikes)
a good carb cleaning - followed the carb guide on this site religiously
starter gear repair kit - although the starter still grinds.
brand new side stand
clutch throw-out bearing
carbs synched

Used parts that are new to the bike:
Tank: off another special - bought it off a forum member here. a little dented but paint is in good shape and clean on in the inside, petcock works great.

Gauges: off my 1977 standard, back lights don't work but tach and speedometer work great, mileage reads something like 20,000 miles, original's read somewhere near 10,000 miles.

gauge bracket and tins - bought off ebay and in great shape

head pipes and mufflers: the head pipes are off my 1977 standard, look like shit but are plenty functional. the mufflers were what the PO had on my bike, i think they're sportster mufflers, don't leak and sound pretty good. stock exhaust was shot.

swing arm: came from my 1977 standard, freshly powdercoated with bronze bushings installed. i went with a tx750 swing arm on my bike and decided this bike could use some classing up. no chain guard though.

What it's missing:

passenger grab rail: the tail light would normally mount here, but since its missing it is currently zip-tied to the sissy bar.

Centerstand: its there but some how the part you would put your foot on to get the bike on the stand is missing :shrug:

Current issues with the bike:

Turn signals: are droopy and turned every which way, they all work, just don't really blink.

Headlight: it works great but is stuck on high beam

Starter: it works, but grinds despite my attempts to fix it with the kit.

Wiring: the PO cut the fuse box out and replaced them with blade type fuses and did a shotty job.

Battery: it is old and probably should be replaced.

well thats the bike in a nut shell. i worked on it until the girlfriend lost interest and quit putting money into it. as stated earlier it runs strong and starts well with the kick starter, the electric starter works well once the bike is warm. PM me if interested

full

Note: the bike is shown with stock exhaust and old side stand, i can send all the pics you want if interested.

There's a guy west of Interlochen, just past Cherryland gas station (A&L auto sales I think) who has been looking for one. He was trying to buy mine last year and told me if I ever want to sell to let him know. He was still looking at the end of last summer. He'd probably jump on it with all of the work you have already done. If you want, I could swing by there for you this weekend. Do you have a CL ad?

Back