1982 XS650 HS Build Thread

Cade

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought this bike in the summer, it sat for a bit, then I started to work on it with a friend a few weeks ago. I have been putting off posting this until now, but better late than never, I guess! The main things I have done so far are: removed all the wiring(to be rewired with a HHB CDI/PMA system), replaced the handlebars with Renthal-style dirt-track bars, and removed the exhaust, which had a thoroughly rusted crossflow member and was just in bad shape in general. I'm gonna link a spreadsheet with parts, and hopefully update it and this thread whenever anything changes. I'll post more current pictures later.

Attachments

• DSCF0600.JPG
    DSCF0600.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 165
Looking forward to your build, I have an 81 that I am working on for my son. What are your plans for the exhaust?

Hi Cade,
"Don't drink the Koolade!" There's eff-all wrong with the stock charging and ignition systems and even if yours have gotten hooped by PO neglect it's far less costly to replace them than to switch to a replacement system.
And yes! the rototiller bars just gotta go.
If the stock double-wall exhaust headers look OK let Mr. Hacksaw be your friend in removing the exhaust's rusted rear end.
If the headers look OK the least costly exhaust fix is a Pep-boys or similar outfit's exhaust pipe adapter to get from the inner pipe diameter to the outer pipe diameter then add the slip-on mufflers of your choice.

Just checked my manual - if those spoked wheels are originally from that bike then it is an XS650H and the chasis/engine number will probably start with 4N9 for US models. The US model XS650SH numbers start 4M4. The electrics on the H/SH models are pretty damn good as stated above. The following link to pipes being sold in the USA on Ebay may be of interest to you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...3.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=151091855370&_sacat=0

They do not have the crossflow pipe and the seller claims they function better that the OEM ones. I like the fact they are similar in appearance.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Thanks for all the input! I will take it into consideration before I purchase exhaust parts, but I am planning on HHB Speedster pipes. I am hoping to get my hands on a PMA soon, until then I am working on other pieces of the wiring. New headlight, and new ignition, headlight, and kill switches. I won't be keeping turn signals or a speedo.

Here is a picture(low quality) of the bike currently. Pardon my messy space.
IMG_20161127_155445041_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Back