1982 xs650 stock yamaha sputters and run down battery

porkboss

XS650 Member
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have stock xs650 I have brought out of moth balls after sitting 24 years. Cleaned carbs. , new battery, got it running. Had to really turn idle screw up from where it was set but it idles fine. First gear, give it gas and it sputters then takes off, 2nd ,3rd same thing. Has electronic ignition. Rode it a bit day before, went out to start yesterday and battery was run down, starter solenoid barely made a click. Put charger back on battery, charging up fine. Noticed headlight seemed dimmer then it should be, I think, when running. Ignition is probably original, 37 years old. What do I need to replace and where is the mag. located. Do I need new coil?? I found what I think is coil under seat. Any help would be appreciated. Just got new tires, helmet, insured and plated. I want to go riding with my son before it gets cold. Thank you for your help. PS. Is there anyone close to Trafalgar Indiana on here????

Welcome to the forum!
Charge the battery with a battery charger, then get a volt meter on it, tell us what you see while it's running at various speeds.
take a look here for charging 101. http://www.xs650.com/threads/expanded-charging-system-guide-in-progress.10561/

Drain your float bowls into a container, a cut down quart oil bottle works well.
catch pan 001.JPG
It's typical on a wake up for fine fuel tank rust to create problems. It's so fine it goes through any filter but settles and makes a kind of mud in low spots causing carb problems.
Idle should not need to be changed drastically, you have dirty or plugged jets.

Thanks again for your help Gary. I have another question about carb., which is the primary on my xs650 1982, left or right or neither. I had to get a new battery and installed new brushes. It did fire, with starter fluid, but didn't want to run. Did magnet field test with positive results. I'm going to check carbs again for debri, especially the left one. It was the dirty one. I keep reading about primary carb, does this have one and is it the left side. I know if one doesn't work right the bike won't run and if you can get it to run on one cylinder it won't idle either. I figure it won't want to start as well. Thank you all for your help.

The only "primary" part is the LH carb has the idle stop screw otherwise the carbs have all the same circuits. Since there is only one sync screw on a twin primary doesn't really apply. That's more of a 3 or 4 cylinder thing.
Are the "EPA caps" off the idle mix screws?
hscarbs.JPG
What did "cleaned carbs" involve?
There is a tiny orifice for the choke circuit front bottom in the float bowls, more often than not this is plugged on bikes that have sat for any length of time.
These threads are a good read.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/why-even-bother-with-jets.6344/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bs34-carbs-1980-xs650.50546/#post-524714
Did you charge the new battery? Always a good idea.

Back