1st Ever Rebuild

denisducati750

650 Custom Chop
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm in Australia and on my bucket list at age 62 was to rebuild an engine. I chose the XS650 for many reasons. Bought an import motor from the US and have pulled top end down. Found out today is standard bore but needs either re-sleeve to original or 1st over-size. Engineer who will do the re-bore warned me to buy quality pistons. Looking at Mike's XS and see 1st over-size out of Japan. Any advice based on your experience appreciated. Was planning to pull bottom end apart for bearings and general check as well when an experienced oldtimer told me not to touch the bottom end as XS650's were solid as - just clean it - which I have now done. Trouble is I pulled the cam chain out earlier because I was planning on doing bottom end as well. Is there a way to re-thread cam chain without splitting cases? Will still split cases if necessary as having externals water-blasted as I go and top end bits are looking good.
:wink2:

Re. cam chain, no need to split the cases, just remove the sump plate from the bottom of the motor and you'll see what you need to do.

Back