Wanted - 2 into 1 header for 1981 XS

XsNash

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a 2 into 1 header for my XS. Bought headers that don't quite bolt up to the engine (must be for a earlier model?) And decided that I'd rather go with a 2 into 1 setup and try to find a supertrapp or something. Located in Nashville, TN

Looking for a 2 into 1 header for my XS. Bought headers that don't quite bolt up to the engine (must be for a earlier model?) And decided that I'd rather go with a 2 into 1 setup and try to find a supertrapp or something. Located in Nashville, TN
As far as headers to cylinder head, they're all the same. Your headers fit all or fit none.

Ironically I’ve got some, but I can’t sell you them in good conscience, they’re butt. Dented, pitted to hell slightly kinked... But I’ll buy your stock 2-into-2 headers?

As far as headers to cylinder head, they're all the same. Your headers fit all or fit none.

Wait, all years all submodels?

What do you mean “don’t bolt up” anyway? I’ve got another aftermarket set of 2-into-2s (also nasty, you don’t want them either), they don’t have a name but they look like MACs, and they don’t use the stock finned flange ring, they just have a plate that’s swaged on at the top. (The header and the silencer are welded together.) Do you have the two little semicircle keepers that go into the exhaust port and hold the header in place?

By any chance is this what you’re talking about?

Attachments

• 93CB32E5-5229-4CE1-8853-34DC35E45328.jpeg
    93CB32E5-5229-4CE1-8853-34DC35E45328.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 95
Neither of these are stock, but the ones with the stock flanges are the ones I’ve been running since I bought this bike, and the other are a pair I decided to try out. As you can see, the part where the header bolts into the exhaust port is about twice as long.

Attachments

• 62D59FA7-E7BC-4403-AD44-A7E6251E0B74.jpeg
    62D59FA7-E7BC-4403-AD44-A7E6251E0B74.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 87
I’m pretty sure the 2-into-2s are MACs, no idea what the 2-into-1s (stock flanges) are, but it has a chrome turnout silencer. Maybe the 2-into-2s weren’t off a Special, because they don’t seem to be lining up with my center stand. But if your man is right - and I’m sure he is - they should fit up to any head.

UPDATE: First of all, I installed those 2-into-2s, and it’s probably at least partially carburetion, but I didn’t even make it to the end of the street this morning. No low-end whatsoever. Second, another thing you might want to check? I think there’s an old set of exhaust gaskets stuck in my exhaust ports. If it doesn’t fit, maybe that’s something you’d want to check?

Back