2 questions....Antigravity XPS1 battery with PMA and electric Start, Pamco

FreoWA

XS650 Member
Reaction score
G'day All,

First post so go easy! I need a bit of help making a decision, I have had this battery box made up (in attachment), originally made to house a capacitor and switches, for a kickstart only PMA set up, Lights, indicators, running a new Pamco e-advance.

But have recently had a injury to my knee playing footy, so I decided to rethink and keep the electric start when the knee starts playing up. Here lies my problem, I don't want to waste a nicely fabricated box! But the only battery with high enough CCA to start the motor which will fit in the box is a antigravity XPS-sc1 battery. Only 32mm wide. 180cca.

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antigravity-batteries-sc-1/

It has a high enough CCA but the Amp hours are 6ah (actual 1.8ah) on the website. I have no idea what the "actual 1.8ah" means but regardless the ah are quite low, the maximum charging current of the battery is only 4 amps. I read one of Pamco Petes post describing the risks of cooking batteries due overcharging as the PMA doesn't restrain charging current and just bit hesitant to purchase one only to cook it down the track.

Has anyone had any success with the xps-1?
Any advice on this problem i've got myself into? Any other products or options?
What sort of AH rating is minimum to remove risk of cooking batteries with PMA?

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if this is already been asked I had a look through and couldn't find anything specific on the forum for this one.

Mike

Attachments

• battery Box.jpg
    battery Box.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 421
Hi Mike,
if you are really in love with that box what you could do to save the fancy battery (BTW the link sez "not suitable for road vehicles" AND "not currently available") from the rigors of dodgy on bike charging is to stick with the PMA/capacitor set up and carry the battery along but not hooked up to the bike's charging system.
Gimmick the heavy duty starter wires & starter solenoid to run direct to the battery to get an e-start when the gyp knee starts acting up and recharge it when you get home.

The lithium ion or lithium iron batteries are rated slightly different from lead acid batteries. If you read some of the propaganda they give one rating then another as a lead acid equivalent.
The AH of a battery is a rating describing how long a battery will last under a certain current draw. The stock battery has a 14 amp hour rating. This means it can sustain a 14 amp draw for one hour. Or a 1.4 amp draw for 10 hours.
A lead acid battery can use a charge rate of about 1/10 of the AH rating. That's 1.4 amps. The 1.5 amp chargers readily available work fine.
The lithium batteries can withstand much higher charge rates.
The 180 cca's is a bit low. The stock battery, depending on the quality of the battery can be 180 - 210 cca's. It will work ok if your bikes tuned well and you don't make a lot of short trips. Lots of starting with not enough run time to fully charge the battery.
You can try the battery that fits your box or get a larger battery that will do the job better, then build a bigger box.
I use a Ballistic Performance 8 cell battery in my 75, 4.5 inches long, 2.5 wide, 4.25 tall. 1.7 lbs, 4.6 AH, 240 cca's. I was thinking it was 275 cca's. Cranks the 750 kitted engine just fine.
Leo

Thanks Leo, fred for the quick response.

Helped make my mind up, I'm going to install the capacitor but leave enough room in the box for antigravity XPS battery.

If kicking starts to become an issue, i'll purchase the battery and hook it up in parallel with the capacitor without having to make to many mods to the box.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Back