20.5 volts @ 4 to 5 k rpm

funky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question .
I had intermitent idle back fire running lumpy then fine , bit all over the place ,,,I checked all the obvious stuff then found that where the regulator rectifre connects to the loom the connector had melted near the middle I changed the connector and then checked the battery charging rate and when i rev the engine about 3 to 4 thousand RPM the volt meter is touching 20.5 volts when the engine is idleing 1300 14.to 15 volts .
My question...... is this right .my haynes book says 14 to 15 volts at 2000rpm i thick.
All the best Funky

If it is still working. The green wire in the connector controls the voltage. If it's grounded the battery will go up to about 20 like that.

Maybe not. I was assuming you had the solid state reg/rec and tci. It sounded like it to me.

Interested to see how you figure this out. Mine started doing this also and cooked a battery and points. I ordered a new reg/rec so see how it goes when it turns up.

:agree: you aren't regulating alternator is pedal to the metal. Pics of the reg and the alt or we're just shooting craps. What kind of lights are you running?

My rectifer regulator is the five pin type 1 red 1 black and 3 white wires..I replaced it with an after market intigrated circut type with the heat sink some time ago ...well when i got the bike 4 years ago prbably . my bike was points but now is Pamco Eletronic ignition with an E advance running a standard Stator. new stator brushes fitted when i did the big bore kit.
I have stocl head lights and led indicators .....I looked to see how i could test the Diodes but my multi meter does not have the facility .... Is there any other way to test it .
All the best Funky

Last edited:
What you're describing isn't a rectifier/regulator, just a rectifier. The regulator usually has 3 wires, a black, brown, and green.

thanks for the reply 5T so then if its not regulating the voltage it must be ok I.E just converting the AC to DC ????? The bikes running fine the replacment connector is not getting hot or the battery.
You will have to forgive my ignorance ....electrics are not my thing

An ohm meter is fine for testing diodes. one direction will show open circuit the other a small resistance.
But with a high voltage like you are getting it's about a guarantee the rectifier/diodes aren't the problem.
Has this set up ever worked properly (confirmed not over charging by a volt meter)?

sorry GGG im confused i checked with OHMs meter and got a reading off each white wire and like you said OL the other way .
will post pictures tomorrow as its quite late here now and just finished a 13 hour shift

Hi all I started looking at all the connectors on the loom and found that the 8 pin connetor from the stator to the loom had a bad connection this solved the over charging issue . The bike ran fine and then again it started to pop and sag like is was starving of fuel or the timming was out ... I am again scratching my head ....I have checked everything i can I feel its an electrical issues as it intermittent.
All i have change on the bike was added led indicators and fitted the E advancer.
well i am going to check all the connections again . Any wisdom on this would be greatly accepted it is really starting to piss me off .....
All the best Funky

Funky, if you going to check connections then do a full loom Continuity test, Clean or replace multi connectors, bullet connectors and ground connections. All switches should be taken apart, cleaned and greased, a light lithium grease is better than a thick grease. .....The difference this makes is astounding......This is the only way to be sure

What i like about doing a continuity test is that you get a reading of great continuity or some resistance or worst case full resistance. If there is some resistance then it could be corrosion on the coupling pins, corrosion or broken wires around the solder on the pins or bullet connectors. Worst case is a broken wire in the loom........

When i replaced my loom i used and old good one i had . Used a Dremel drill with the ball end and lightly ran it around the female bullet connector then jammed a cotton bud dipped in Lanolin oil inside to clean off the loose dirt
P1000974.JPG P1000980.JPG

Because there is no voltage running through the system it is easier to read and when power is installed then you know that it should be at its optimum.

I don't know what your level of Voltmeter knowledge is........I done a Continuity tutorial so it may help.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

Im confused about what you have and then what your saying.............. Off the stater to the Rectifier......... if you have 3 white a red and black then it will be a 6 pin and there should be a 3 pin with Black, Brown and green for the regulator This is the usual set up for a Points model XS from 71-79........Does your bike have a separate regulator and rectifier......If it does please use separate words when referring to the separate part........Saying reg/rect is associated with solid state Combined Regulator/Rectifier and these set ups have an 8 Pin coupling on bikes from 80-83 with the Factory TCI .........will help to save a lot of confusion

Last edited:
Well i just checked all the pin connectors and found no issues I took the bike for about a five mile ride and it was fine .... I will have to see how it goes.. this is really puzzling ....

Hi thanks for the reply 650 skull the reg/rec is the one with the two connectors I was wrong .... As i said electrics are not my thing.
I will do what you said I will do a continuity test. I took the fuel tank off to check the wiring for the E advancer and noticedthat there were two grey and two orange wires which if i remeber were off the second coil as the bike had two prior to fitting the twin port high output coil which came with the high output kit from Mikes.
I connected the wires orange to orange and grey to grey..... not if this is right but the bike ran ok ....
Thanks for the reply again ..... Skull
All the best Funky

Hi all Thanks for all your input every one, The issue with the my XS was a blocked Petcock a bad earth on the 8 pin connector and the breather hole on the filler cap was restricted the bike runs fine now. And i am happy again lol
All the best Funky

Back