21" front questions...

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying for a 21" front wheel and I'm confused as to how to go about this. I know that the harley axles/bearings are different from the xs'. I'm trying to stay fairly cheap so I'm on craigslist and ebay mostly. What brand/model/etc...should I be looking for and how do I fit it on my xs stock front end? Can I use the xs stock axle? etc...

For the back, I'm hoping for a slightly wider 18" wheel. It seems that is much simpler than the 21" front. Any info I need for that?

I'm using a dirtbike wheel and had my stock axle turned down to fit it. I'm still sorting out the exact spacing and I have to fab up a little brake stay but I'm pretty close. If i didn't want a front brake things would be much easier, buy a 21" dirtbike wheel with a disc and cut off the disc mounting tabs. I want a small drum (to hold hills and whatnot) so I found and old honda wheel with the smallest drum I could find.

IMG_0211.jpg

MikesXS sells 21" front rims and spokes to lace it to your stock XS650 front hub. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

MikesXS sells 21" front rims and spokes to lace it to your stock XS650 front hub. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

This is true but they have only had the 64 hole ones in stock. I've emailed them and there is no ETA for 36 hole.

To the OP you may wsnt to consider getting an aftermarket rim and lacing it up to your stock hub or having Buchannan do it for you. It will save you a lot of headaches.

This is true but they have only had the 64 hole ones in stock. I've emailed them and there is no ETA for 36 hole.

To the OP you may wsnt to consider getting an aftermarket rim and lacing it up to your stock hub or having Buchannan do it for you. It will save you a lot of headaches.

can i not use the 64 hole?

Go get yourself a set of HARLEY front tubes 35 MM from Sportster/FXE and you can set up everything HARLEY . I have found out in the past that it ends up being the same money trying to convert something old into something new . I just did a 21" Harley Front end on a XS 650 and it was under $400.00 You can find 35mm Front ends on line and 21" wheels too and then all you need is a bearing kit and a little work and you got a nice front end.
Doing it the other way you need someone to true it after you respoke and maybe a machine shop to work on your axle if you are not using Mikes parts. Hope this helps give you some ideas Check prices on both. There are some 35mm SPORTSTER tubes that slide right into XS tress i think its 1988 and that will save you some green.

Go get yourself a set of HARLEY front tubes 35 MM from Sportster/FXE and you can set up everything HARLEY . I have found out in the past that it ends up being the same money trying to convert something old into something new . I just did a 21" Harley Front end on a XS 650 and it was under $400.00 You can find 35mm Front ends on line and 21" wheels too and then all you need is a bearing kit and a little work and you got a nice front end.
Doing it the other way you need someone to true it after you respoke and maybe a machine shop to work on your axle if you are not using Mikes parts. Hope this helps give you some ideas Check prices on both. There are some 35mm SPORTSTER tubes that slide right into XS tress i think its 1988 and that will save you some green.

Why would he need axle work if he was using the XS hub?

If you get a rim off eGay for $40 (what I usually pay for them) and spokes from Buchannan, then send it to Buchannan they will lace it up with the new spokes. You will have under 200 bucks in the whole deal. No bearing swaps for the axles and steering stem and life is much easier IMHO.

Why would he need axle work if he was using the XS hub?

If you get a rim off eGay for $40 (what I usually pay for them) and spokes from Buchannan, then send it to Buchannan they will lace it up with the new spokes. You will have under 200 bucks in the whole deal. No bearing swaps for the axles and steering stem and life is much easier IMHO.

that's what my plan was, but if i can just buy some 35mm lower forks off ebay (there are a few on there now from $40-$60) wouldn't that be even easier?

that's what my plan was, but if i can just buy some 35mm lower forks off ebay (there are a few on there now from $40-$60) wouldn't that be even easier?

Wait, what? What year is your bike? What is your current front wheel situation? What forks do you have? You need to give us this info so we can help.

HD lowers work on XS650 tubes? Seriously?
If so would the reverse be true as well (HD tubes work with xs650 lowers...this way I could use a aftermarket HD tree)

No you buy HD tubes and lowers from EBAY that are 35 mm
FXE and some Sportsters use 35mm fronts and that is what i use but if you can get a stock wheel done with buying rim/spokes/labor to lace and true it for under $200.00 i would go that way. I just like using the HD fronts because they are heavier and you can find a lot of used HD parts at swap meets and online. I though he was going with a dirt bike rim and if so he would have needed axle work. Also some XS 650 are 34mm not 35mm so you do need to check that also.

Bummer. on my next bike I'll be going HD with a 21inch so I can add more rake. After pumping the xs numbers into a rake calculator any use of a raked tree kills the trail with a 19" wheel. If I went up to 21" I could at least add 3 degrees using a HD aftermarket triple tree and still have good trail.

With using the HD front end too you can save on time by just buying raked triple trees for HD and they work well you just have to follow the same directions as if you were going to put a springer on and have to take 1/16" out of the bottom so that bearing sits correct.

Yep that is a 35mm front end but i would use everything and just change the bearings because you have a bigger choice of handlebars with 1" than 7/8"
Here is one i did. HD front end and 1 1/4" bars that really made it look cool.

Attachments

• wbk1.JPG
    wbk1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 401
Yep that is a 35mm front end but i would use everything and just change the bearings because you have a bigger choice of handlebars with 1" than 7/8"
Here is one i did. HD front end and 1 1/4" bars that really made it look cool.

looks great. what would you offer this guy for it? $250 seems a little high to me...but what do i know haha

Well i am bidding on a couple right now myself and for a complete front end in good shape i would go as high as $250.00 for a HD one. The one in the picture was all chrome and it was only $200.00. You do see some very high and sometime due luck out. Nice thing on that one is you already have bearings and just need to buy XS races.

Back