21" front rim

heres one for a decent price
http://www.chopcult.com/socal/classifieds/6154/
8253.jpg

Why don't you just go looking for the whole 21" front wheel and brake assembly instead of just the rim? Then all you need to do is make some appropriate bushings, spacers etc and slap it on...no worrying about finding the correct spokes/ spoke angles etc.

When you use a 21" rim laced to a stock hub, you get to use your stock brakes without worrying about bushings, spacers, or custom brake brackets.

MikesXS is going to have new 21" rims in stock in March..think im going to just hold off and get one then. I will just park the front end on a 1" board to set my rear end height.

Somtimes I'v reused the rim locks with the new tire like my old brit bikes other times I use JB weld and paint. Most peaple really will not notice and if they do tell them they are extra valve stem holes or for lightning the wheel.

What ever you do take lots of pictures of the origanal lace set up before you take it apart. That way you have a referance to use when relacing.

What does going to a 21 inch do to the performance of an xs anyway? I assume potholes feel slightly better but does it really affect cornering?

What does going to a 21 inch do to the performance of an xs anyway? I assume potholes feel slightly better but does it really affect cornering?

From my experience, yes, the 21 is a slightly better handling wheel overall. But, 90% of the time, a 21 is for looks and the stock 19 is because it was already there, so why not keep it.

My experience is limited to chops and bobs though, I would think a flat track bike would be better suited to a fat 19, while a salt flat racer would want the skinniest tires it can find... It is all about application.

Re: tidd1340, I measured to make sure, and the axle height on my 19" front wheel and tire is 13 1/2", same as a 21" fromt tire and wheel. This sounds counterintuitive, but the profile of the 21" avon is lower, cancelling the inch gained in the rim.

I know this is a SUPER old thread now, but like Thorshammer said, DevCon, Alumbond, or JB Weld aluminum epoxy filler works great if you don't obsess over appearance. When it dries, the spot will be darker than the aluminum, but I think it can be polished. It's easy to work with and can be sanded flush with the rim, plus it's a lot cheaper and forgiving than welding those little holes... then again chances are if your serious enough to buy an expensive machine that can weld AC, you can probably weld up those little holes without much problem.

Back