21 inch xs400 coverted to xs6t0 question

jimmybrown78

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 21 inch front drum wheel that came on my chopper build and I am 90% sure it is a xs400 hub (15mm axle). The wheel bearings have been changed to xs650 because the wheel was on a 17mm axle mounted to the forks. I have one question, Isn't there suppose to be a spacer in the middle of the hub between the 2 wheel bearings.

I took the wheel off to try and measure to get some spacers made and I looked between the wheel bearings and there isn't a spacer. There are casting stops that keep the bearings from being pressed in to far.

The wheel was rebuilt and brand new 650 bearings are installed, just trying to make sure that it is safe and if I need to get a spacer fabricated.

Any help or knowledge would be great. I really like the look of this wheel but my knowledge of front drum wheels is very limited.

Attachments

• IMG956824.jpg
    IMG956824.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 487
  • 1201152112.jpg
    1201152112.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 1201152113.jpg
    1201152113.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 200
Yes you need a spacer. If you don't and when u tighten up your axle, the bearings will bind.
Be aware that beating out one of the bearings will ruin it. Prepare to buy another

Thank you looks like I'm in a pickle, the PO didn't have The original spacer. Also after doing more research this wheel is a cb360 wheel with 17 mm ID wheel bearings pressed in.

Shit!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::wtf:

After digging through the bag with brake parts I found the center spacer along with all other brake parts minus the shoes. This hub is for fact a cb360 hub laced to a 21 inch rim with 17mm wheel bearings. I might just sell the wheel and get a actual xs650 21 inch wheel.

Cool looking wheel but more work than I really wanted to do with out my own equipment to make the outside spacers and the center spacer.
:doh::doh::doh::banghead::banghead:

- - - I might just sell the wheel and get a actual xs650 21 inch wheel. - - -

Hi jimmy,
alas, there ain't no stock 21" XS650 front wheels.
You'll have to buy a stock 19" XS650 front wire wheel and lace it into a 21" rim or buy one that's already been done.
And what kinda brake?
Is there a design you have in mind to fit a drum brake wheel into those disk brake forks?
Your least effort option is to use stock XS650 artillery wheels, you may hate the look but all the parts fit and they are way easier to keep clean.

Back