210v fuses vs 12v fuses

rick peden

XS650 Member
Reaction score
howdy to all of you xs650 gurus and i mean that in the best of ways i am havin a time finding 12v 10a AND 12V 20A 1 inch fuses the 210v 10 AND 20 amp 1 1/4 inch are both available but i am wondering if these differences can cause problems especially with the charging i have also lost front pieces to my horn will this effect the charging sys

The important thing with fuse is the current rating. The voltage not so much.
A lot of us have found those round glass fuses troublesome. We have converted to blade type fuses. More reliable and easier to find.
As far as the horn it should not have any effect on the charging system.
One thing you can do to improve the performance of your electrical systems is to start at one end of the bike and working to the other, opening every connection and switch to clean and tighten every connection. A dab of dielectric grease helps prevent corrosion.
Every dirty weak connection causes extra strain on the system.
Leo

howdy to all of you xs650 gurus and i mean that in the best of ways i am havin a time finding 12v 10a AND 12V 20A 1 inch fuses the 210v 10 AND 20 amp 1 1/4 inch are both available but i am wondering if these differences can cause problems especially with the charging i have also lost front pieces to my horn will this effect the charging sys

Hi rick,
best you replace the glass tube fuse pack AND the main fuse with a modern Mini-fuse pack
You can find a suitable fuse pack in this list's classifieds..
As to the horn, it could fall off onto the street and still not affect the charging system..

Early bikes used one 20 amp fuse. It is in a holder under the right side frame cover.
Later bikes used one 20 amp fuse as a main and three 10 amp fuses for individual circuits. These are under the seat on top of the battery.
The changeover was in 78. Some 78's had one fuse others had four.
What year is your bike.? A lot of us put the year,. model and mods in our signature line. Like just under the post.
Leo

Back