250 dollar classroom

terminus

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings!
I picked up a bike about three weeks ago in Vermont. $250 got me the engine in the bike, which is frozen, and a second engine which turns.
No tank, seat, sidecovers, etc.

Here's a few pictures to get started.

I'm planning on learning as I go, doing as much work myself as possible. I'm thinking cafe racer right now, but that could change. Big bore, rephase, etc.

It'll be slow, but I'll post more pictures as work progresses.

Attachments

• roller1.jpg
    roller1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0006 copy.jpg
    DSC_0006 copy.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0055 copy.jpg
    DSC_0055 copy.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 162
Welcome. 79 Special II. Those wheel rims are a one model rim. Rare, so they are worth more than you payed for the bike. Good deal.

650Skull - good info. Thanks for the heads up.

I've got the engine out now, and the frame stripped down. I've started detabbing it.

The past couple of nights I've spent removing the head cover and head. Things are not
looking good. You can see in the pictures the rust on the advance rod and points cam, and the rust on the cam lobes.

I had to use my dremel to cut a link on the cam chain. Even after I removed the tensioner, I couldn't get enough slack in it to pull the camshaft bearings off. After I cut the chain and removed the head, I got a nice look at what the problem is. The cylinder on the right in the picture is full of what I'm guessing is WD-40. Don't know how long it's been in there, a few weeks at least. I'm afraid the pistons and jugs have become one.

So, anyone have any advice for removal?

Attachments

• cam lobe.jpg
    cam lobe.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 146
  • pistons.jpg
    pistons.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 151
  • cam chain.jpg
    cam chain.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 149
  • points cam.jpg
    points cam.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 131
  • advance rod.jpg
    advance rod.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 143
  • detabbed.jpg
    detabbed.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 151
One of the bearing seats on the head cover looks pretty rough.
Is it possible to polish that out? Or will polishing mess up the tolerances?

Attachments

• camshaft bearing surface.JPG
    camshaft bearing surface.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 149
For trying to free the piston from the cylinder, there are many ways to go about it: diesel fuel, acetone, ATF, Evaporust(it eats iron oxide only, and is environmentally safe) or other such product are some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head. IIRC, diesel is the method of choice for the local junkyard owner. I've heard a lot about an ATF/acetone mix for freeing up stuck bolts and whatnot. Evaporust is a very good product as long as the surfaces are free of oil, grease, dirt, etc. I've used it to clean up many things and it's always done a great job, never used it to free a piston though, but don't see why it wouldn't work.

One of the bearing seats on the head cover looks pretty rough.
Is it possible to polish that out? Or will polishing mess up the tolerances?

Leave it for now, don't sand it. Later, after everything's all cleaned-up, you can dry-fit one of the bearings in there with the camcover on, and check for any looseness...

Back