277 Pamco LHS failure

hotdog

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Hi gents, as you can guess by the title my 277 pamco is not firing the LHS coil, I am wanting to know if anyone has any resistance/ohm readings so I can do some testing, this will help to determine the cause of failure and allow me to keep this one as a spare, as I have ordered a new one from Pete.
My bike is a 277 rephase with a pma conversion, kick only with a sparx capacitor, it has been running happily for over 12 months.
The rhs still runs perfectly well and the pma is still charging at a healthy 13.5v. Neither of the pamco circuit boards are burnt out, however one of the diodes on the LHS seems to have a small irregularity compared to the RHS.

full
[/IMG]
full
[/IMG]
full
[/IMG]

Failure occurred running errands around town, with no prior warning. Not sure if any other members have had this before with kick only bikes, but it is the only difference I can find between the 2 x circuit boards. I have tested resistances of the diodes (not removed from the board) & they seem to all be the same. From what I have seen most Pamco failures seem to be caused by ignitions being left on etc...and that they are a fairly robust system.
Both coils are getting power with the engine running, there is no broken wires/terminals etc, and nothing looks burnt.? All components have been swapped over to the RHS & still work fine.

Any assistance appreciated, as I am starting to scratch my head trying to determine the cause of the failure..?
Regards.

Looking at what you have, the first thing I would do is wave a magnet near the magnet sensor and look for changes on its leads. The components mounted horizontally that aren't laying tight against the board are liable to fail from vibration. Every component there can be easily tested with just an ohmmeter. It's not a problem to remove the parts or at least one end to test them. Unless it invalidates a warranty.

So I have got some time today to take a further look at this, have done 10 x 12hr shifts in the last 14 days so hasn't been a priority.
So I set up a little test rig in the lathe similar to what Pete has shown before, wired up the pamco & powered it with a good battery, it runs perfect.

I will need to revisit the wiring on the bike as I obviously have something going to ground/earth somewhere.

Just to help clarify things. The parts on the circuit board with colored stripes are not diodes they are resisters. The colored strips tell the ohms of resistance. Google resister color codes.
The two diodes are the large black cylinder and the small yellow egg shaped part.
Leo

Thanks Leo, appreciated. As you have probably guessed electronics sadly is not one of my strong points. Will post again once it's sorted with what I find.

When I click your video link it comes up saying it's not available.
If it works fine on your test rig, then the way it was on the bike is a likely suspect. A bit of vibration can loosen a ground. That would be my first thing to look at.
Leo

The bobber is running like a swiss watch again, I found a terminal i had installed on the trigger wire to the LHS cylinder had not been crimped well, allowing a loss of contact intermittently. I have to admit I'm a bit pissed with myself, as I try to be quite thorough, just one of those things.....
All sorted now and riding again. Thanks.

Back