29T rear sprocket and TX 750 swingarm.

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi there.

Spring has come to Sweden and I hit the gravel as much as I can!!! Stupid to clean the bike all winter and then get it all soak in mud:laugh:

This is the perfect time to fix some "small" things, you´ll need some wrenching time at summer too, right:thumbsup:

I´ve tried out a 29T rearsprocket. It seems really small but works very good. I found out I can use the tourqe in a much better way now. Before I had a 34T mounted. 17T in front. The clearence between the chain and pivot arm is not much but it works fine.

Besides that I´ve started to work on my TX750 swingarm. (thanks to Gary for some parts) Get rid of all the paint and brackets. I´m about to paint it in "silver". Hope I´ll feel some results when I put it on, right now the bike feels spongy while pushing it on tarmac.

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB089561.JPG
    FB089561.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 163
  • FB069547.JPG
    FB069547.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 154
  • FB099673.JPG
    FB099673.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 178
  • FB069550.JPG
    FB069550.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 154
Spring has come to western Canada too, but it just dumped 10 cm of snow here in Calgary..............it will melt fast though.

Yeah, that 29 sprocket looks tiny! That kind of gearing is more for expressway cruising. What kind of driving do you do? Your bike garage looks fantastic:thumbsup:

Hey.

Thanks, my garage is kind of small and totally stacked with stuff. Most bike stuff but also alot of other things. Guess you could call me a collecter of "good to have" stuff:laugh:
When you been working in a garage for about 4-5 years every part has it´s place and it works fine.

When it comes to the 29 sprocket it works well here in sweden. We do have alot of gravel roads around and it´s possible to go around 30-50 mph, mostly on 3-4 gear.

On the highway you need a bike that cruises around 75 mph, otherwise you´ll be overruned. With the 34 sprocket I was always lookin for the "next" gear but now I find the bike more relaxed.

The diffirence between 2-3-4 gear is also greater now and I´m able to use the gearbox in a better way on gravel.

Now, I do have 750 wiseco pistons, open exhaust and 142,5 main jets and maybe that´s the reson it works fine. I guess with a stock engine it might be to small with a 29 sprocket.

/BigBoreSwede

I'd totally rock a 29t. It seems with a 34t that 3rd and 4th essentially get rowed through all the time. Where did you get yours?

Love your bike, by the way.

You may want to re-think the hole pattern on your disc. One of the important things you try to achieve with a hole pattern is sweeping the whole pad surface with the holes. Your pattern doesn't do that, every line of holes matches the previous one. That makes 3 solid strips (the space between the holes) around the disc that aren't swept by holes. Straight patterns like yours usually use one less hole in every other line and move than line up so the holes fall between the ones in the other lines with more holes. That then sweeps the entire disc width with holes.

Hmmmm.......5twins, I´ve never tought about that hole pattern on my brake rotors but it totally make sense. After some time it would affect the pads in a bad way.

Front sprocket is stock but whatever rearsprocket I want to use I need to make one out of a "raw" sprocket.

The whole setup, with rotors, rearwheel, sprocket and so on is a result of the PO. At the moment I just make small changes in that setup.
But overall I think the PO and the PO before that have been doing a great job on this ride.

With a ported head and some fine carbs and the 5th "overdrive" gear in the gearbox I guess it would be able to reach somewhere around 115-120mph. Now, top speed is´nt important to me but it would be most fun to try it out.

Anyone with some proper top speed here at the forum??!

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB129215.JPG
    FB129215.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 142
Back