Is it able to bore a stock 650 to 750??

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello.

I really hope I´m all wrong here!! My so called BigBore tracker have a cylinder with the 650 numbers markt on it.
The previous owner said he did´nt know very much about the engine execpt it was a 750 and that he himself had tensed the cam chain and changed some seals. And I was stupid enough and did´nt have a look myself:mad:

Now my question is if there is possible to bore a 650 to 750 instead of buying a whole kit. I know I have to have a look into the engine to be sure about it but some engines ain´t possible to bore that much and since it so pouplar with these 750-kits I´m wondering that maybe it´s inpossible to bore that much on a stock cylinder.

I´ve been driving Suzuki GSX 1100 before and these engines are VERY poupular to tune. For these bikes there is nothing as a BigBore-kit.....you´ll need to bore the stock cyl. And because your able to do that there has never been any kits for that engine.
That´s why I´m a little bit unsure when it comes to the XS........why is it so popular with these kits.

Please tell me it´s possible to bore:banghead:

/BigBoreSwede.....or maybe not:doh:

Take spark plugs out, turn motor until you can have a look at the pistons with a torch. Forged pistons from big bore kit will have nice machined tops (link 1 below) but standard cast pistons will not (link 2 below -not a good pic tho).

http://www.heidentuning.com/p/28/2923/mo74-cg|22=5/#05-0733-piston-80mm-533-type-price-ea-!-

http://www.heidentuning.com/p/28/29...5338-piston-1st-oversize-533-type-price-ea-!-

Let me know if you want pics and I'll post one of each tomorrow as its nearly my bed time! (have both types on bench now).

Hope this helps.

The stock liner is too thin to bore that much, so you have to pull the liner, bore the aluminum cylinder and replace the liner with a bigger one, or better yet, use the new MikeXS kit.

Short answer; yes you can have a 750 with the stock 650 aluminum cylinders saying 650cc

Last edited:
Ohhhhh......now I´m with you guys!!! It´s totally obvius.......stupid:banghead:
Now I know what sleeves means.......yes of course it´s the same as bore for me here in sweden.....sort of. Diffrerent language, that´s all.

Well, then it´s not unlikley at all that my engine has been re-sleeved to 750......I´m going to take a look at the pistonhead trough the sparkplug hole and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help when I don´t even understand English:laugh:

/BigBoreSwede.......whatever.

Din engelska är mycket bättre än min svenska! :thumbsup:

(I cheated! PM's to Big Bore Swede, no prob)

Last edited:
XSRob

Va fan!!! Tänkte inte ens på det. Kan det inte heta foder på engelska också......sleeve är ju fullgaddad arm ju......eller.

Sorry guys....just some "Viking-talk".

/BigBoreSwede

Did say I cheated! I dont understand that either!???! :shrug: (PM's to Big Bore Swede, no prob)

Back to 650/750 things........... ahem!

Last edited:
If the previous owner changed the liners or bores as you call them you cannot see that without pulling the cylinder head off and measuring the bores. You could have a big bore but it would look like a factory 650 on the outside.

Hello.

Now I´ve pulled the head and mesured the pistons. It´s bored since the piston mesures 80 mm instead of stock 75mm. Feels good since I was kind of unsure:thumbsup:

Now I have some work ahead since the head is in a "not so good" shape:shrug:

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB208079.JPG
    FB208079.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 193
When you turn a 650 set of jugs into a 750, you pull the stock sleeves/bores out. Rebore the jugs so the 750 sleeves/bores fit. Install the 750 sleeves/bores.
Thats the way it's been done since the 650's came out, until Hieden Tuning developed the big fin kit and Mike's started selling them.

hi guys ,,, no you cann,t bore to 750 in std. sleeves you need to re-sleeve or just buy a mikes 750 top end kit which is put together by heiden... something racing... good luck regards oldbiker

Hello.

This seems to be a problem since I´m from Sweden. I´ve noticed it before here on the forum. When I write "bore" I mean the same thing as "re-sleeved" because in Sweden we only use the word bore. We never say something like "I would like to re-sleeve my engine".....sort of.:shrug:

But since there are some comments about this I´m getting unsure! As I understand it a piston that´s mesures 80 mm across is a 750 piston, right??

/BigBoreSwede

still a bit of mis communication here Swede, in english BORE is the actual hole the Sleeves are what the bores are in... a picture is worth a thousand words ... your 650 sleeves have been replaced with 750 sleeves, the complete cylinder is heated and then the sleeves can be removed and replaced

Attachments

• 12sleeves.jpg
    12sleeves.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 207
We use bore as a verb, like "he bored a hole." It could be a hole in wood or metal or anything else solid. We also use bore as a noun "What is the bore of that?" Which means what is the diameter of that hole? We could also say "there is the bore" which means "there is the hole."

The "sleeve" is a piece of iron tube that fits into the aluminum, and the piston goes inside that sleeve. The sleeve has a bore, which means the hole down the middle of the sleeve. The sleeve can be "re-bored" which means a larger hole can be drilled to replace the original hole in it. English sucks; let's talk Esperanto.

It could also be re-sleeved, which means the original sleeve taken out and replaced by a different one. If the outside diameter of the new sleeve was larger than the original sleeve then the part the sleeve fits into would have to be re-bored itself, so the new sleeve would fit....

Last edited:
Back