BigBore Flattracker

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello

Just laid hands on my new bike. It´s a -81 XS in Flattrack dress with a 750 BigBore kit on. Lot´s of fun.

First thing to do was to change the oil and opppssss.........the oil was really old and both filters where full of "not so good stuff":bike:

So now I´m waiting for new parts from Rudiger (www.xs650shop.de) Supernice guy by the way!! I went for the oilcooler kit on the right side and also the filterkit for the sump. Guess that´ll peform better then the original ones:laugh:

Very nice forum, I must say/Nils from Sweden

Attachments

• FB056315.jpg
    FB056315.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 192
  • FB056320.jpg
    FB056320.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 260
Nice bike BigBoreSwede. Worthy of my first post too!

If I spend another year or 2 and use all the parts I have been collecting for the last 25 years I would be really lucky to end up with a bike a sweet as yours. And 2 other ones as well (gets boring working on the one XS so keep buying more, lol!!!)

First post but been reading good advise for ages. Thanks guys.

Bigbore Swede...... nice looking Tracker & welcome to the site. Been using Rudiger myself for sometime & Im very happy with the service. You running an RD rear wheel & no battery?

XSRob......... welcome, nice to see another Brit, post some pics of your XS

Pics on way. Give me something to do tomorrow whilst trying to sort out the fzr400 front end job, haha! :doh:

Bigbore Swede...... nice looking Tracker & welcome to the site. Been using Rudiger myself for sometime & Im very happy with the service. You running an RD rear wheel & no battery?

XSRob......... welcome, nice to see another Brit, post some pics of your XS
The rearwheel is from a Xs 400 frontwheel. The electric system is "lightweight" type with Boyer ignition and the battery is hidden in the rearfender.

One thing need to said about the bike. I´m NOT the builder of this bike. The two previous owners have made this bike what it is today and I´m very happy to be the one riding it nowdays.
The guy I bought it from seem to have good taste and had some other "serious shit" going on in the shop:thumbsup:

So far my work on this baby is to fix some details, mostly the wiring need some attention to look good and I also need to fix some plastic bushes.....if you know what I mean:laugh:

After that I would like a pair of flatslides and maybe a rephasing.....but I think the motor need some "love and care" before that will be reality.

Over and Out/Nils from Sweden

Attachments

• FB056316.jpg
    FB056316.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 139
BigBoreSwede. The guys have done a good job, I bet it is a blast to ride!

Have taken some pics of my, er... "projects" today. All work in progress as am sure you can see!

The bike on the floor is a 650 aiming for the cafe racer look.

The empty frame is having a 750 kitted motor added (on the bench now) and is going to be standard looking but with better brakes etc.

The red bike has an 880 motor in it which was aiming for the tracker look but I got bored before too long with it and as I have been working on it for about 22 years i think it will never see the british sun (read RAIN!). Trying out fzr front end on it this week!! Lol!

Attachments

• IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 167
Thanks guys. Am working on all of them at the same time so will take a bit longer to finish any but it helps to do the same sort of thing 3 times (have worked out how to do it properly by bike no 3!! :laugh:)

BigBoreSwede -Most of the parts were bead blasted (except the cases) but the final finish is high temp silver paint. Looks the same but does not oxidise like the bare aly would do (Vapuor blasting is best as it peens the surface and hardens it a bit better).

Heres a pic of my last resto job. I sold it in 2003.

Attachments

• Robs old bike.jpg
    Robs old bike.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Hello

I was searching the net for some info on Kenny Roberts and his bike(s)

Was kind of hard to find something of real intrest, mostly comercial and that kind of stuff. Is there anyone who knows something about the motor and the setting he used. It would be fun to know!

Also, I´m wondering what´s the difference between the XS and the TX model? On many sites on the net you´ll find info about Kenny was racing with a TX :bike:

Any historians out there??

/BigBoreSwede

Hello

Today I made a simple bracket for the crankcase ventilation filter. I found a piece of stainless and whooppsss.....there you go. Nothing fancy but I think it will work. Little bit unsure about the position of it. Maybe my pants will get dirty:thumbsup:

I also throwed my rearbrake headmaster reservoir in the trash can since it was so fu..in ugly and was hard to mount in a good place. It ended up with a simple piece of garden hose :D Works super!! Now the hose isn´t pretty either but it´s a start.

Is the name/saying "Cajsa Warg" making any seens to people outside of Swden?? Anyway, it means that you take what you got and use it.

For now/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB136345.jpg
    FB136345.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 155
  • FB136339.jpg
    FB136339.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 148
  • FB136335.jpg
    FB136335.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 159
  • FB136332.jpg
    FB136332.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 127
  • FB136326.jpg
    FB136326.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 157
  • FB136324.jpg
    FB136324.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 145
Well done, very creative. The hose to replace the reservoir is cool. Just keep an eye on it. The hose may not like brake fluid.

Today i did my new panel "cheap-style":thumbsup:

The old one was made out of plastic and wasn´t very funny. Instead I took a piece of stainless and mounted the bicycle speedo, turnlight indicator and a light for the speedo ( you need to have that in Sweden ):banghead:

Looks really simple and rough, just the way I like it :bike:

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB196385.jpg
    FB196385.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 136
  • FB196371.jpg
    FB196371.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 138
  • FB196360.jpg
    FB196360.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 134
Phenomenal!!!

Got my oilparts from Germany (xs650 shop) and mounted it all in 1 hour. Piece a cake.

The old meshfilter suits better as a house or something for a little pet or something. I mean the door is already open:D

I also purchase a motoroil thermometer. Good to have and nice to look at.

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB206386.jpg
    FB206386.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 170
  • FB206388.jpg
    FB206388.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 133
  • FB206390.jpg
    FB206390.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 127
  • FB206392.jpg