Different enginenumbers??

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello.

Just a little question. As far as I understand there is different types of xs650 engines. There is the 447 engine and another one, don´t recall that number right now.

If I´m right....whats the differens and how does it affect me when I´m about to by parts and so on??

It´s cold in Sweden now.....and snow. Dammit:banghead:
Thanks/BigBoreSwede

State side they started with the 256, went to 447, Over on your side of the pond they got a 533 engine as well. I'm not sure but they may have built others on both sides.
The 256 has longer rods and shorter pistons than the 447. I think the 533 have rods and pistons somewhere in between.
If you go by the engine number, on the case behind the front engine mount, This will tell you what year your engine was made. There are several reference lists to tell you which engine it is.
Mike's has one, I think 650 Central does. I think there is one in the tech section of this site.
Once you know which engine you have then you can use that to get the right parts.

The 447 motor is by far the easiest and cheapest to get parts for. Most hop-up stuff made is for the 447 motor. They started in '74.

The cam, cam chain, and cam chain sprockets were also different in the 256 motors.

Back