Valve surface. Is this how it should look??

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello.

First of all. Thanks all of you!! I have alot of questions right now since this is my first engine job.....ever. Hope you bear with me:thumbsup:

I´ve been cleaning the valves and the chambers today. After 3 rounds of paintstripper that did not worked that well I used a little wire wheel (dremel) and finishing with som autosol. The chambers work fine but I´m wondering if it´s possible to achieve mirror surface?

But my main question is about the valves. Same procedure as for the chambers but the surface ended up lookin suspicious. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB158697.JPG
    FB158697.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 223
  • FB158736.JPG
    FB158736.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 182
  • FB158708.JPG
    FB158708.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 210
  • FB158724.JPG
    FB158724.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 213
hi,, if you get yourself a piece of1" thick timber like they use on cubboards,, about 12" square ,shiney surface,,and put a piece of fine wet/dry get your self 3-4 sheets its fairly cheap ,,put it on the board and rotate the head of both valves in a figure of 8 until they both clean up which will not take long,, you can then grip them in a pistol drill,, clamped in a vice.. and polish the heads with 1000 grit to a mirror finish .they will come up a treat.. you can get a rubber stick and tube of cutting paste and blue and seat both valves,, you can use a common texta to blue them and that will help you seal them properly ... ..its easy to do regards oldbiker

They look normal to me. They don't have a smooth, polished surface on the head from the factory.

Wow.......2 fast answers! Thanks guys:thumbsup:

What about the chambers? How sensetive are the valveseats? If I use some kind of grit in the chambers it´s most likely I´ll damage the valve seats, right. Maybe some sort of paste will work? You don´t want to go "learning by doing" on this one:doh:

/BigBoreSwede

After carbon removal, I just polish the chambers with chrome polish. I don't sand or grind them to make the finish any smoother. I think it's pretty good as is once cleaned of carbon and finished off with the chrome cleaner. Once done, you will want to wipe it with oil or it will rust quickly. It's plain steel.

CleanHead.jpg

this shit intimidates the piss out of me but i love when people dive in head first like this. props to you and keep the pics coming.

Back