2in1 exhaust - with or without bafflers?

schioler

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys ..
i am rebuilding my old 77 xs650..
i have a 2in1 exhaust and oem airboxes and filters.

i would like to know if i should make the exhaust a freeflowing one
or install a baffler in it..

thanks...

To help you get the jetting in the carbs correct and the bike running as you would like it, personally, i would install baffles. Also, it will no doubt be a little on the loud side without them!

ok - sounds good - i will start looking for a diy guide to make a baffler for the exhaust.
thanks...

If making my own baffles, I would definitely go for fibre glass wrapped perforated cores, and try to have a reasonably long muffler, minimum 400 to 500 mm long. A couple of years ago, I bought some nice 1 1/2" (38mm) OD, perforated stainless muffler cores from some Californian outfit on Ebay. They also stocked other dimensions.
The price was reasonable, and quality good. Used on my XS with 2-2 exhaust these cores fit perfectly with my 1 1/2" headers when slid far enough into the megaphones to butt up against the headpipes when everything is in place.
Some of these other suggested baffle solotions may or may not work. Some of them will most likely result in a loud and nasty sounding exhaust, which also kills power......
I have run various types of "straight through" glasspack mufflers on my 2 Ducatis for more than 10 years with good results. And this is engines regularly run up to 9000 rpm, with 2" baffle tubes.....If well mainained, i.e. the fibre glass is replaced regularly, they sound great and do allow the engine to work to its full potential, if jetted correctly.
Some people seem to insist on running with headers only, and install some home made "baffle" in these incomplete exhaust. This will never be as good as an efficient muffler on a street bike.

arcticXS: that sounds really interesting ..
i am not into the crazy sound - more like a deep thunder..
anyway - how would suggest i build the baffler --
a perforated core with fibreglass wrapped around - no ends welded on?

For my XS 2-2 exhaust, used MikesXS/ Heiden 1 1/2" OD headpipes, than "Big Bore" Norton Commando mufflers form a UK vendor. As delivered, these mufflers had a straight through core with only 3 rows of louvres, and no packing. So I cut them off at the largest diameter, then the reverse cone/end cap came off. Then i used a Dremel with a flexible shaft attachment and cut the original core off from the INSIDE, approx 80 mm from the front end. The Original core was 1 1/2" ID, so my perforated core is a slip fit inside, butting up to the headpipe for a smooth transition. Then I machined an alloy ring with corresponding tapers, to fit inside the megaphone part and the reverse cone part of the muffler shell, and used SS pop rivets.

Obviously the above description is specific to original Norton Commando mufflers only.
All depending on the design and condition of your 2-1, you need to modify your approach. If the muffler shell/ megaphone is intact, I would try to source a perforated core that gives a reasonably smooth transition from the 2-1 collector, then have a suitable end cap made, that will hold the core and packing material in place, and use either 4-6 small screws or SS pop rivets to mount it to the muffler shell. If the muffler shell/megaphone is damaged or cut off at some earlier point, you need to fabricate or adapt a new one, either straight or megaphone shaped. I would definitely try to make the muffler shell at least 18" long (457 mm), and at least 3" (76mm) in diameter.

On my 680 cc Ducati Monster with the stock 2-1-2 setup, I have oval carbon mufflers, with a 2" core about 450 mm long. It is plenty loud when giving it some, but not unacceptable when I restrain myself a bit, as long as I renew the fibreglass packing each 2-3 years.

wauw thanks man - that sounds like what i am going to do ..
as being a smith its no problem to fabricated the needed parts at all
i just needed to know what the bafflers should be like!

thanks alot!

Back