#3 starter spring fix

MikeC23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I squeezed the #3 spring down so my starter engages more consistently. I want to test it before I put everything back together. What should I be looking for when I hit the electric start with the spark plugs pulled?

Yeah, I see a couple of gears down there but I'm not sure which ones should be engaging. There is alot of spinning going on for sure.

These two gears are what spins for me.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 87
The number 4 starter gear sits(sets) behind the gear on the right. As the right gear turns it throws the inside gear to the inside via a threaded ramp. It is the inside gear that engages to turn the crank. Without the tension clip/spring to slow it down the teeth don't mesh they just hit the crank gear and bang about. There is also a circular spring on the inside of the #4 gear that is supposed to help the gear disengage from the crank gear.Some have removed it with apparently no problem. IIRC Pamcopete had the idea to remove it. Seems like maybe 5twins had doubts about it being removed after trying it for awhile. . . . . I digress sorry

You had this gear off to tighten the clip/spring? Did you check the tension before replacing? There is a spec for it somewhere. Maybe 6-8 lbs but you'd better not bet the farm on those numbers.

Cool, I actually squeezed the tensuioner spring with needle nosed vice grips because I don't have the tool to take the clutch off, so the torque on that gear should be what it was before. My suspicion is that I dislodged that tension clip and am now going to have to tear the clutch off to fix that. For now, I'll probably leave that disengage spring in. Thanks for the advice!

Back