3 years in the making

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
He guys I've been lurking for a few years now so thought I'd share my full build story of my scratch built bike. 1970 xs1 chopper. I'm a custom fab guy by trade and I've built a lot of these xs650 bikes for others over the years but never for my self. I had never rebuilt an engine so this was my first and as you'll see I went kind of all out on it. Any way thanks for the advice over the years and enjoy my story. Dan.

image.jpg

So it all started with a basket case find on Craigslist about 3 years ago and the collecting of a bunch of parts.

After a few months I get the time to start of the frame. I'm working with a xs1 and I've always thought these make the best choppers because of the backbone angle. They always seem to flow in to the back wishbone the best. I'm doing this with out a frame jig so I use some plate to lay out all my measurements. String line and lasers from HF make this possible.image.jpg
I bend and fabricate my own hard tail from a couple old hard tail kits I hard sitting around. Man they did not fit at all as they where for triumph so lots of cutting and bending to get this right as always.

I begin hand forming my own fender so I know I'll get the close fit I want. I use a big stump and a blocking hammer I made. It takes me about 40hrs to get it to a perfect state. image.jpg

The stump I use was from an old tree cut down in our yard. I have dished it out to do the forming with a grinder from HF. My shoulder is really heavy by the time I get this done. I'm working with 18gageimage.jpg

Next up I narrow a tank. I'm just using a sportster tank from lowbrow. Nice a clean makes the job of welding it back together much nicer. image.jpg

I'm really happy how the tank turned out it was done with mig and it's not really the right welding process for this job but I've had to do harder things with less. image.jpg

I decide to add a little fancy bead roll under the tank as I'm going to sit it on the back bone Frisco style and it needed a little something to make it mine. image.jpg

I had a junk front end that was Yamaha but I'm not sure what. I wanted to run 1' bars so I went about shaving down the top tree and making new mounts. I got access to a TIG at this point so I was able to weld in my new lugs. image.jpg

Last edited:
The next part took me a long time to do but once I started couldnt stop half way through so I just kept filing and filing using hand files to smooth out all my weldsimage.jpg

Last edited:
Starting to look like something. I'd often find my self just day dreaming about how it should look from here on in.image.jpg

I spend the next few months making little parts until the bike is bare metal and ready to test ride.image.jpg

But only after a few miles I know something is up. I have a big knock in my engine. So time to pull it all down. The bike rides perfect though and so I send the frame off to paint. I can't decide on a color so I just get a brushed metal silver because it looks like bare metal lol. image.jpg

So the rebuild ends up going all out.
256 cases and heads.
447 gears
750 jugs
Performance Pistons 2nd over
Performance rods
447 crank progressive balanced and blueprinted by falcion cranks
New bearing and seals through out
Bead blasted cases
Ported head
New valves
New guides
256 cam 447 cam sprocket
I made my own PMA from banshee and cbr600
Mikes xs650 5th overdrive.
256 cam chain tensioner
New points and rebuilt the advance unit
Clutch was in good shape.
2 in to 1 custom intake
930 Amal carb. image.jpg

The 2 in to 1 was a little bit of a challenge. Hand carved it from stainless steel and it took me about 4 months of 10 min breaks at work. Not sure if it's going to work. I hate the look of one carb of to one side so my goal was to get it in behind the seat post. If it fails to breath right then I have a set of vm34 cambs ready to go on.image.jpg

Side on. I almost sold it last week. It's been so long since I got to ride I forgot the feeling but then last minute I change my mind and kept pushing on. Went to kick it and the kicker is not engaging the sprocket on the clutch basket. Aughhh got to take the side case off again. Yet to do it but maybe tomorrow . So close to finishing I can smell it.image.jpg

Back