30-34mpg

bowhoc95

bowhoc95
Reaction score
Hey all, New to xs 650 community. I have been bobbing out an 81 & using the this forum as a GREAT resource,,Thanks...Question, I have Mikes XS pod's straight pipes with the 1/4 inch washer bolt weld in the pipes for min back pressure. I have cleaned & re cleaned the carbs 34's, pulled the plug & turned out idle mix to 3 out. The bike starts, runs through the rpms GREAT, lots of pull. I did nothing to the main's or pilots & the plug's if anything look a bit on the rich side, some black on the hook & ring but the ceramic is brown..I drive it on the hard side, stop & go, not crazy by any means, but not afraid to get into the throttle (love the sound)..My long winded question/'s is, is my mpg acceptable, should I jet up..already seams rich which I don't understand I expected opposite with my Mods..Also I have Mike's High output coil & NGK #6 open to .035 Any thoughts? Thanks Tom:bike:

I think your needle jets are worn and need replacing. Worn needle jets will absolutely kill mileage. If that is the problem, once you replace them, you probably will need to jet up.

Thanks 5t, The next question, get the Canadian needles & start with clip in the middle? with the needle, should I also get the jet? Recommend Mike's or 650 central needle's?

If you go with the Canadian set-up, you must get both the needle and needle jet. They go together as a matched pair. The Canadian needle won't work properly in your stock needle jet and your stock needle won't work correctly in the Canadian needle jet. Yes, start the needle off in the middle and change if needed.

With the way its running, should I just go with a stock needle again? Also what are your thoughts with my main & pilot jets..From what I've read, I should be on the lean side..

I'm not talking needles here, I'm talking about the NEEDLE JET, the part the needle fits down into. The needle can wear it away over time or, more commonly, gas residue from gummed up carbs literally eats away the inside of the jet. Both scenarios give the same results - a jet with a larger than spec hole through it that runs too rich. Yes, you should be running lean with your mods but if your needle jets are all worn out, that's why you're not.

As I said, if you find your needle jets worn out and replace them, you probably will then need to change your mains and pilots. Even if you go with the Canadian parts, you will probably still need to do some re-jetting just maybe not as big on the jet sizes.

Before you replace anything, check your float levels. If they're too high, that could be the cause of your rich running.

Back