Sold / Found / Inactive - 33T rear sprocket for ‘76 XS with 520 chain

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for this sprocket. Local supply seems to be out of stock. JT sprockets appears to only have 530 chain sprockets for my bike. Lmk if you have something for sale. Newer the better. Mikes XS has black ones but would prefer silver. Thx

I'm thinking of going to 18t front sprocket and 520 chain for any clearance issues. Is the 520 chain noticeably smaller?

8E59795F-E530-4917-8926-46807620DF06.png

Is the 520 chain noticeably smaller?
Chains are measured in eighth's of an inch.
The 5 means 5/8" pitch... distance, center to center of the pins
The 2 means 2/8" width (inside the plates)... or a quarter of an inch... compared to a 530 which is 3/8".
The zero is a placeholder for in between width sizes. For instance, a 525 is 5/8" pitch and two and a half eighth's (5/16")

Just checked and landed cost from Heiden is about $100 Cdn plus duties, taxes, brokerage. I think I’ll keep hunting and maybe go to plan B if I can’t find one at a reasonable cost.

I’ve ground some 530s to 520 width at the teeth and they have worked great. Doing the front is easy in a drill press and angle grinder. The rear needs a lathe or do it mounted on the wheel in a truing stand. It’s only getting .125 narrower and goes quicker than you would think. Nice thing is you can run the narrowed edge either in or out to suite alignment or give that extra 1/8” of chain clearance for a wide tire.

I also learned recently that a 50 pitch sprocket from McMaster Carr, Tractor Supply or any industrial supply is almost identical in widths to a 530 at .343 wide. The pitch is the same. This may be helpful for anyone doing s wheel swap where you have to make a sprocket. Usually the 50 pitch have a 1” bore so you have plenty of room to cut whatever center size and bolt pattern you need out of it. I’m thinking of the GS500 wheels and similar swaps.

I’ve ground some 530s to 520 width at the teeth and they have worked great. Doing the front is easy in a drill press and angle grinder. The rear needs a lathe or do it mounted on the wheel in a truing stand. It’s only getting .125 narrower and goes quicker than you would think. Nice thing is you can run the narrowed edge either in or out to suite alignment or give that extra 1/8” of chain clearance for a wide tire.
Good tip. Thanks

Installed a 34T. Will try running with that for a bit.
I have side by side Specials and I’ve been on both of them over the weekend. The one with the 33 tooth sprocket, I can go to the next town on the interstate. The one with 34 teeth, no. 33 is noticeably better if you want or have to go fast. OTOH, 34 is no doubt quicker when I turn my right hand. I can definitely feel it in the seat of my pants as I exit turns. One is not better than the other. It’s how you ride. Comfortable cruising speed is probably 5+ mph faster, all other things being equal with a 33 tooth sprocket.

I'm looking for a 32t 530
I have a 30t and 17t now
I guess I could go 18t front and put my 34 back on.
I'd prefer keeping 17f and finding a 32r 530
If anyone knows where to find em in US? I can find em in UK but shipping is as much as the sprocket.

I'm looking for a 32t 530
I have a 30t and 17t now
I guess I could go 18t front and put my 34 back on.
I'd prefer keeping 17f and finding a 32r 530
If anyone knows where to find em in US? I can find em in UK but shipping is as much as the sprocket

XS650Direct seems to have them.

There site doesn't seem to be working. I'll see what else I need. My products won't go into cart? Is there another way to contact them?
I would imagine not but are there rubber gromets and such up to par w oem? Also I'm looking to get carb jets and needle jet (emulsion tube) I would like to get oem mikuni.

If you email them with what you want they can process the order that way or phone them. Their site has been acting up lately. They are a good company to deal with though.

Back