Chain length, choice in swapping to larger rear sprocket - 36 Tooth

The Standard

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is with the stock spec rear sprocket of 34 teeth, 98-100 links is the chain length for the early bikes (XS2).

If I am increasing to a 36 Tooth sprocket will that 98/100 link chain fit or do I need longer? Current 530 chain is still on 1st adjustment mark on swingarm.

Ordering parts and don’t want to delay install if have to order a longer chain after getting into job.

Would love to go with basic chain to save some weight but the larger tooth sprockets seem to all be in 530 spec.

In my opinion when it comes to motorbikes, there are a few things not to skimp on, a chain being one of them.

Adding 2 teeth will probably leave you zero ability to adjust it if it’s that tight already.

For some reason it’s been my experience that often buying a longer than needed chain is cheaper. For some reason 110 link comes to mind. Then remove the ones you don’t need.

In my opinion when it comes to motorbikes, there are a few things not to skimp on, a chain being one of them.

Adding 2 teeth will probably leave you zero ability to adjust it if it’s that tight already.

For some reason it’s been my experience that often buying a longer than needed chain is cheaper. For some reason 110 link comes to mind. Then remove the ones you don’t need.
Also my experience, the longer chains can sometimes be cheaper. Not that I buy cheap chains, same chain, longer, lower price.:shrug:

Been 50 years since I've gone to a local industrial supply to buy bulk Rex or Diamond chain off the roll by the foot so yeah now most good bike chain comes in precut even numbered lengths in 10 -20 link increments

Thanks all for input. Very educational for future chain purchase considerations. I found two more links that were removed from original fitment. Hopefully that will be enough and possibly allow for adjustment.

Interesting, in that I found out the slack that develops in the chain over time warranting adjustment is more attributable to wear spacing increase between the sprocket teeth than chain stretch. If that is case, unless the chain rollers take on equivalent rate wear, could the chain be replaced every other sprocket replacement as opposed to rule of replacing both at same time?

I base replacements on wear of the components. often replacing just one or the other. Not the universal opinion of how that should be done.
Most chain wear is between the pins n bushings. A fairly simple test is pulling the chain away from the rear sprocket at the back. If you can get much lift something's worn. Madness has an aluminum rear sprocket, they wear faster than the chain.
I'm prolly due to replace her chain, it's been in service a long time.

Madness has an aluminum rear sprocket, they wear faster than the chain.
I was amazed how long those aluminum sprockets last. My first replacement, back in the day, was aluminum. I believe it was 17/36 that I went to. As I remember, they were replaced more because I began a 50 mile highway commute to work rather than wear. The combo was great when I lived in Daytona Beach. Not so much on the open road.

Today, chains normally come in 10 link increments (100, 110, 120, etc.) and yes, longer ones are often cheaper. So, when shopping for one, check the prices of the various lengths. One time I actually bought some 130s because they were cheaper than the 110s I normally get.

I normally replace chain and both sprockets at the same time. Because like most folk, I was told that replacing just the chain is false economy - worn sprockets will cause the new chain to wear out much faster. An exception was when I fitted a smaller rear sprocket - 33T - on the XS650. Existing chain and sprockets all appeared nearly new, so on that occasion just changed the one item.

Back