34mm fork upgrades

ScooterMagoo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,
Is there any hope for my 34mm forks? I know there are plenty of upgrades, like cartridge emulators and such, for the 35mm forks. Are there any upgrades available for the 34mm forks? I am building a café racer from my 75 XS and for now am using the stock forks. There is a fork swap in it's future, but for now, will be using the stock forks and just want to improve them a little bit.

Thanks.

Hey, ScooterMagoo. Try the 'advanced search', use 'minton' as the search term, and '5twins' as the member. Then read thru all his posts, plenty of helpful info there...

Race Tech now makes straight rate springs and emulator kits for 34 mm. forks which are effective with some versions. The ones with an alloy piece on top of the damper rod take a bit of modification; enroll on the Yamaha 650 Society Facebook page and ask John Chaves how to install emulators in those.

Hi Scooter,
all the upgrades in the world can only do so much for a 34mm fork.
Look at swapping in fatter forks instead.
35mm from later XS650s drop straight on. 36mm or 37mm from XS750/850/1100 Standards (and from Specials but you get stuck with their Weird Harold calipers) will also fit if you swap the XS650 steering stem into the lower 'tree.
your front wheel fits all of them if you swap in the one-piece brake disk.

36mm or 37mm from XS750/850/1100 Standards (and from Specials but you get stuck with their Weird Harold calipers) will also fit if you swap the XS650 steering stem into the lower 'tree.
your front wheel fits all of them if you swap in the one-piece brake disk.

I was going to start my own thread but figured this one also applies (and was brought back to life). I can swap in the 36mm/37mm forks from those models (standards...don't want the weirdness of the specials) without the stem swap as I have '72.

I was looking to upgrade the 34's I have now but have decided to go with the better platform of the fatter forks. I was just wondering if one was better than the other? Does one have more upgrade options (better springs/emulators) than another? Mainly, if I were to start looking for a pair, should I be looking at one over another.

Thanks

Just wanted to ask again since I din't receive a response.

Just wanted to confirm that the 36mm/37mm front end from an XS750/850/1100 Standard would be a direct swap for my 1972 frame with the shorter neck tube?

Also wanted to know from those that have gone here if one set of those forks would be prefered over another? Is one set more...."upgradeable"....or easier to find replacement parts over another?

Thanks again for any input.

Edward

Hi Edward,
the fatter the better, eh?
They'd all work although I'm not sure about the steering stem length.
You may have to swap your '72s steering stem into the lower triple tree of whatever forks you decide on using.
I'd go for the XS1100 Standard forks as having the biggest diameter and using the same front disks as the later model XS650s.
XS750/850 forks are smaller in diameter and use the same smaller disks as the XS650 rear disk.

That is great info. Just what I was looking for. Will have to wait to hear back about the stem although I do think it's a direct swap. Maybe somebody will chime in and set me straight.

Back