34mm Mikuni VM round slide carburetors

dlabkeeg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about those 34mm Mikuni VM round slide carburetors, and are they a lot better then the OEM. Are they worth the $300.00. Just got my tax check, and I feel rich.:D

Well I am going to buy mine from 650central and they are $400 there, Everyone says go thru 650central. And from what I've read they seem to be alot more responsive.

Inxs posted a link in the tech section here to the guide I wrote for the VM-series carbs. The primary advantage to using VM's is that they offer more tuning options for modified engines. There are no advantages and a number of serious disadvantages involved if you're fitting them to a stock motor; they're spelled out in the guide. You might want to read it before you make a decision.

So grizld, my motor is stock, do you recommend that I should just use stock 38 carbs and just jet them correctly? Or even use a pair of stock 34's

I'm a fan of the round slides. I got my last set from MMM and I will get my next pair from him as well. I recommend removing the bowls to make sure all is well before installation.

Yep. IMO any new carb set should be stripped and cleaned before installation to prepare a jet list and ensure that any machining debris has been flushed out.

I have a set on 2 of my bikes love them never had any problems with them 1 set is
almost 6 years old and 20,000 miles on them can't go wrong

They are good carbs, only issue I have is the floats stick from time to time. My baseline is about on spec with that list.

I will mention that throttle cable routing is rather (too?) tight with the VM's and stock gas tanks.

Yes indeedy, gggGary; cables foul on the petcocks. Vacuum petcocks cause the worst trouble, but the OE manual taps are bulky too. One solution is to raise the back of the tank, but this can affect cruising range if taken too far. The best solution is to fabricate mounting plates and install more compact petcocks.

Wally, don't take the Carb Guide recommendations too literally. There's a lot of variation in fuel from place to place, and the baseline in the Guide was written with reference to what comes out of most pumps in the US. I have no idea how your local fuels might affect jetting. There's a very old national XS650 club in Australia, and some of the members are among the most tech-savvy guys on the planet. A quick Google search will find them, and if you hook up with that group you'll be glad you did.

I even bought 10 of something like these, helps a bit.

48-8027.jpg

You can twist the carb top inward a bit, that helps, but that may influence fuel level in the bowls....

Back