34's-high/hanging revving-silver bullet?

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Bought these awhile back. Totally neglected.
It took a bunch of carb cleaner and soak time just to get them apart.
Finally got them all together and on the bike.
Pods and open slash cuts.
New o-rings under the mix screws.
45 PJ
135 MJ
One shim under the Needle.
New float seat and needle.
Floats (plastic) at 22 mm.

It started on the 4th try after tinkering with the idle position.
Synced carbs.

A short (10 mi) test ride. The throttle hangs a little over 3K when shifting through in the 3-5k (mid range?) but can be powered/geared down and will idle then.

Back in the barn it will start and idle. Blip the throttle and stay below 2200 and it will fall to idle.
Take it over 2500 and it revs to 3200 and hangs.
What is the silver bullet?
When I get it ironed out I will post.
In the mean time what say you? Where does the problem lie?

I had the same issue come up on two occasions. The first time it was my ATU which needed proper greasing. Easy fix.

Similar symptoms just started occurring on my bike; I have a blown/leaking head gasket. I'm crossing my fingers for you that is not the case.

Any oil leaks around your base and/or head gaskets?

If you removed and re-installed the butterfly plates during your overhaul, maybe they're not aligned properly and binding in the bores. Most common cause is fully tightening the plate screws before the return springs are installed. When you install the springs, it pulls the shafts and plates towards them slightly. That can cause binding if the plates are already tightened down.

VCPatel this is definitely a carb problem.

5twins haven't been there (yet). I'm sure new seals and allen head screws are in the future. Right now though they seem to be working.

I made the daily round (64 mi) to work. I wish I had taken the 5 mins to "fix" it before.
The revving has gone to 4K as it warmed up. We had a pretty stiff blow from the south, on the climbing side of the hills it loses speed at anything under 5.5K. Even then it won't gain any speed. Accelerating from a stop requires more clutch slip and throttle blipping. It is "rideable" almost streetable. It did require some choke after sitting and for the first couple of miles. The ride round on day 2 of the work week was much more satisfying.
It actually will gain some speed on upgrades, slowly very slowly but it does. Starts ups and offs are easier. And I was able to drop the idle speed from a fat 1300 to 1000-1100.
But all is still not well. I see a carb removal coming to fix it correctly.

Have you tried dissengaging the throttle cable and only using the throttle to rev the engine?
I say this 'cuz a bike I was working on did the same thing. Anything over 3K and the throttle stuck for a second or two. I removed the cable and worked the carbs manually. It was a kink in the cable.

I aslo had a nice scratch in a slide once. If the slide moved up to the scratch it would make the slide drag. This too caused the throttle to stay open for an extra second.

Back