35mm triple trees

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
So I bought a set of triple trees on ebay. They are apparently 35mm. The size i am looking for. Got caught up in the bidding and paid good money for them. Whatever, right. When I want something, I buy it. As long as it works. Not everything just some things.
My problem is that the lower tree seems to be 34mm. How do i know besides the obvious that my forks don't go in them.
I'm pissed. How do you get a right measurement on the tree to know what size it is. I forced the tree opened but you can only go so far then things start to get distorted.

How much should the tree be opened to get the forks in? I got one tube in and tightened the pinch bolts. It was hard to get get it in. I just put the tube in just to the top of the fork just for reference. I'll try to get a pic.

yup we gotta see pics but a 34 isn't that easy to tell from a 35 just by looking farz I know. Normally with the bolts loose the tubes slide in/out with little or no effort.

Here's a couple pics. They don't do my case justice but by what you are saying Gary, it doesn't sound good for me. By the way the pinch bolts are fully tightened.

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 152
If you had trouble putting them on, you might be bowing the forks out a little if they are 34mm forks with 34mm lower triple.

I'm thinking that you wouldn't be able to get the pinch bolt to thread if it was a 34 and you stretched it to fit.....angle. For a comparison, do the top and bottom gaps look about equal with the tubes in and tightened?

I hear ya nj1639. I barely got the bolts to thread. Thought I was cross threading but wasn't luckily.
With the top clamp tightened there is about a 1/16" gap. On the other hand, the bottom clamp gap is about an 1/8".
It's gotta be a 34mm stem.

Those gaps look wide. Oops late to the party. Ouch, don't cha just love them fleabay expert sellers?

h.nawrocki@yahoo.fr__35mm 001.JPG

h.nawrocki@yahoo.fr__35mm 003.JPG

h.nawrocki@yahoo.fr__35mm 004.JPG

Back